Table of Contents
Why People Trust DesignRush
DesignRush has a qualified team of industry experts and agency executives that focus on finding the best graphic design companies for your business. Our team determines the key performance indicators, like portfolio, client reviews, and industry reputation, that agencies must meet to be listed. To further leverage our agency expertise, businesses also reach out to DesignRush to streamline the process of finding the right agency via the Marketplace.
Our Picks for The Best Graphic Design Companies in 2023
The top graphic design company on our rankings is SocialSEO. They are an award-winning agency that boasts more than 20 years of experience.
- Why we chose them: They are listed by INC 5000 as one of the fastest-growing agencies in the United States. Additionally, client reviews show that they are known for their professionalism, transparency, and reliability.
- What you should consider: Their required minimum budget ranges from $1,000 - $10,000. This may not be the best fit for small businesses with a limited budget that only require basic graphic design services.
- Who are they for: SocialSEO collaborated with both large local and national brands as well as small local businesses. B2B and B2C brands of all sizes can tap their specialized services, especially if they need help with producing images, graphics, and GIFs for their social media channels.
PKG Brand Design
The next on our list of the best graphic design agencies is PKG Brand Design. It is an award-winning design firm that caters to domestic and international consumer goods businesses, mostly in the food and beverage sector.
- Why we chose them: PKG is a consumer-focused agency that has worked with nationally recognized brands such as Hillshire Farm, Perdue Farm, Natural Cut, Yakult, Home Chef, and more.
- What you should consider: If you wish to outsource their services for a simple graphic design project, their $150 rate per hour might be too costly for your needs.
- Who are they for: PKG Brand Design is the ideal partner agency for businesses in the food and beverage industry.
Being an award-winning agency with more than two decades of experience is enough reason for SmartSites to be part of our list of top graphic design companies. They boast a team of designers who can help create powerful graphics that can elevate your brand.
- Why we chose them: Working with them means you will be working with a design specialist who can help you choose the right and attention-grabbing visual content. Based on client reviews, applying their design can help you increase revenue by up to 42%.
- What you should consider: Their $100 hourly rate can be pretty steep for businesses that only need simple graphic design services, such as regularly producing visual content for their social media channels.
- Who are they for: B2B and B2C businesses of all sizes can work with SmartSites. Private practices, eCommerce brands, and car parts dealers can especially benefit from the company’s experience in working for such businesses.
Our next recommend graphic design firm is Digital Silk. They are a top-rated agency that specializes in creative design and strategy. Their unique selling point is that they help clients build a brand book that details their visual identity, like logo, color palette, typography, and more.
- Why we chose them: Based on their client reviews, professionals at Digital Silk take the time to understand the full scope of the project which helps them outline many creative ideas. When you look at their case studies, you will see that they can produce a 56% customer retention rate, a 43% increase in conversion rate, and a 20% increase in sales.
- What you should consider: Specializing in brand design strategy means they provide full-scale branding services, including marketing and communication strategy. Some of these may be unnecessary if all you need are simple graphics design services.
- Who are they for: Digital Silk can work with B2B and B2C brands of all sizes in various industries. However, technology corporations, conglomerates, and telecommunication companies can benefit more from the agency’s experience of working with such businesses.
Another graphics design agency among our top picks is Ignite Visibility. They are a six-time INC 5000 firm that provides graphic design and creative services. Their key to success is their team of graphics designers who have extensive experience in working for print, advertising, and digital media.
- Why we chose them: The company has experience working with large brands and well-known personalities like Office Depot, DoorDash, Tony Robbins, and more. Their client feedback shows that they have a hands-on process for delivering successful graphic design projects.
- What you should consider: They dedicate their efforts primarily to digital marketing projects, which means that they may not give the same attention to graphic design services.
- Who are they for: Businesses of all sizes can hire this agency as their partner. Online food companies, auto body shops, and drink companies specifically should leverage their expertise and services since they built experience in working with these types of businesses.
10 Most Popular Graphic Design Companies Compared
|SocialSEO||Colorado Springs, CO||Inquire||100 - 249|
|PKG Brand Design||Chicago, IL||$150||Under 49|
|SmartSites||Paramus, NJ||$100||100 - 249|
|Digital Silk||New York City, NY||$125||100 - 249|
|Ignite Visibility||San Diego, CA||Inquire||100 - 249|
|Ramotion||San Francisco, CA||$150||50 - 99|
|HigherVisibility||Memphis, TE||Inquire||50 - 99|
|Top Notch Dezigns||New York City, NY||$150||50 - 99|
|Evestar||Fort Lauderdale, FL||Inquire||Under 49|
|Lounge Lizard||New York City, NY||Inquire||50 - 99|
How We Picked the Best Graphic Design Companies
Our process in choosing the best graphic design agencies entails considering various key performance indicators. We looked into their extensive client portfolio, awards and recognitions, client reviews, and more.
Our agency experts take into account their case studies, showcasing their output and the results that they can bring to their clients. As for graphic design companies in particular, we made sure they display the following qualities:
- Experienced team of graphic designers and creative strategists
- Ability to quickly understand graphic design briefs
- Experience in using relevant tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Time management and communication skills
- Creative storytelling abilities
- And more
You can read more about our agency selection criteria here.
DesignRush sustains a directory of over 20,000 agencies categorized by service category, location, expertise and reviews. We build our database in two ways:
- Our dedicated team of agency experts actively search the web for top performing companies. We then pull information from their websites, online presence and client testimonials to verify their status and qualifications prior to listing.
The agencies listed get notified of their profiles on the website and they can choose to claim it or not, which suggests their availability for more collaborations.
- Agencies can also reach out to DesignRush and must go through the verification process prior to being listed.
About the Author
Kristina Vjetrovic is a Client Relationship Manager working directly with Branding & Creative agencies. It allows her to provide industry insights that help business owners make informed hiring decisions, which she proactively manages to nurture long-term B2B customer relationships. For further inquiries, contact her at [email protected].
Graphic Design Companies FAQs
What Is A Graphic Design Company?
It is an agency that specializes in crafting two-dimensional content that lives on branded materials.
- Marketing campaign visuals
- And more
These elements can help you establish your brand identity and build a fully-operational persona that attracts new clients and delights existing ones.
Graphic design consists of the imagery you most often see when you think about a favorite brand. It’s made up of logo designs, those funky website illustrations and the business card typography that gives a business a personality.
Interesting fact: In 2019, there were 215,930 specialists in this field in the U.S. and the same year the industry generated $15 billion. (IBISWorld)
What Does A Graphic Design Agency Do?
These companies create imagery and visual content that businesses use for branding all of their products, services and material. A streamlined visual identity helps companies attract new clients and retain old ones.
These are some of the solutions that these designers can offer:
They Handle Marketing & Advertising
The top specialized companies manage visual marketing and advertising promotions.
Common types of marketing and advertising materials include:
- Banner ads
- Email marketing templates
- Paid media advertisements
- Social media posts
- And more
They Create User Experience & User Interface Design
This type of agency also has strong design backgrounds -- particularly if they are managing the user experience and user interface design.
Graphic design elements in web design include:
- Website navigation
- Banners and imagery
- Font and typography
- And more
They Produce Print Design & Publication Materials
These experts create promotional designs or artwork for a variety of tangible materials, including:
- Magazines, catalogs and newspapers
- Annual reports
- And more
They Create Corporate Designs
Corporate designs are important because they reinforce a strong brand identity throughout all areas of the business, consumer base, partnerships and beyond.
- Office branding
- Storefront signage
- Corporate reports
- And more
They Build Environmental Designs
Environmental designs are creations that infiltrate a consumer's environment or create an immersive one of their own
The types of environmental designs that these companies can create include:
- Brick and mortar stores
- Pop-up shops
- Billboards, posters and signs
- Events & Conferences
- Museum exhibits
- And more
They Create Other Promotional Designs
The types of print designs these agencies can create for you are really unlimited.
As the digital world continues to evolve, they will stay on top of new platforms, trends, tools and strategies to maintain an effective design that matches your campaign seamlessly.
How Much Do Graphic Design Companies Charge For Their Work?
The amount you as a business will need to spend on these services depends on these factors:
- The complexity and scope of the work needed, as well as the type of graphic visuals
- The location of the company of your choice
Generally speaking, these companies will charge hourly rates, usually from $100 to $200, while companies in Eastern Europe or India will charge anywhere between $35 to $75 per hour.
Looking at particular types of design, the creation of a logo is among the costliest ones: a high-quality logo can cost anywhere between $2,000 and $15,000.
In case your business is in need of a thorough makeover – meaning, a complete rebranding work is necessary – the cost of this can increase vastly, even above $250,000 to account for the creation of a website and a complete marketing strategy.
Why Hire A Graphic Design Agency?
Apart from what’s already pointed out – strengthening your businesses’ brand identity, awareness and visibility – utilizing the services of a professional agency with a proven track record can have other benefits.
For instance, having an instantly recognizable, effective logo can give you an edge over all other companies in your niche by making you stand out.
Also, as your brand grows and new platforms and strategies emerge, having a steady partner agency will ensure you’re never short on appropriate design solutions that match the needs of said channels and platforms.
Other notable advantages of dedicating your strategy and budget to having a top agency by your side are:
- Reach your audience: A good branding agency will conduct thorough market research with focus groups, surveys, analytics, database research, questionnaires and more to develop strategies that can help you reach the right audience successfully.
- Generate engagement: They will develop a brand strategy, create a book containing the guidelines and visuals for business presentation, unifying the brand identity across all channels and platforms. The said identity becomes cohesive and this, in turn, enhances and strengthens communication with your audience, engages and converts them.
- Increase your profit: Consistently presenting a brand across all platforms can lead to 23% higher revenue. The best companies will need to take the time to get to know your company, its defining characteristics and create visual elements that they will present across all platforms consistently. Only through this approach will they truly succeed in helping your revenue rise as a result of the improved corporate identity.
How To Choose The Best Graphic Design Company For Your Business?
Of course, what you want to look for in these specialized companies is the highest rate of talent possible, as well as innovation and an eminent portfolio (preferably the one that won prizes).
But those are very general metrics and they don’t really speak of the company’s notion of integrity, professionalism and business comradery. You can look for levels of expertise, customer testimonials and more in the listing table above.
However – when selecting one, be sure to focus on the following factors:
#1: Professional Partnership
There are tons of incredible agencies out there that fulfill a variety of needs. Before you start searching for the firm to suit your needs, determine the type of relationship that you need to improve your business.
Whatever the case, take the time to know what you’re looking for in a professional partnership and your ideal price point before you begin vetting agencies.
#2: Organized Process
While you discuss potential collaborations with prospective partners, ask them questions about their process.
Creating a stunning visual design that accomplishes a goal is a difficult task that requires plenty of organization and communication. You need to feel comfortable with how a specific design agency will approach your brand, understand your objectives and translate those into an end product.
#3: Clear Pricing Structure
Working with a top agency will cost you. But do you know exactly what you’re paying for?
Make sure you ask any potential agency exactly what their pricing looks like and precisely what your dollars are going towards.
Know whether the cost of their services is a flat rate or by the hour. Know which team members you are paying for (and how much time they dedicate each week to your project!) and if additional drafts or meetings will drive the price per project up.
#4: Portfolio & Process
These two factors go hand in hand. For the project to go down well, it needs to be communicated closely between team members of the agency, the company and you as a client.
An objective must be set clearly so that it can be translated into a visual solution you will be proud of.
Their track record is something that you should value highly, but also by their previous clients in past referrals.
#5: Client Relationship Management
This can mean many things, but what it should always mean, is for a design company to take note and respect your suggestions, insights and interventions along the way in the process.
The depth and strength of your cooperation will determine the final outcome of their work on your visual identity.
15 Questions To Ask Graphic Design Companies Before You Hire The Right One
Before you hire a partner from our agency table list above, ask each of the candidates these questions.
They will help you establish their level of expertise, their collaborative habits, how they use their resources and more.
1. What are their previous experiences with your particular industry and which clients have they partnered within it?
Industry experience can help you identify the agency that is familiar with your audience and aesthetic.
Companies that work with corporate clients will be best positioned to produce designs that build authority and trust.
Those that work with consumer brands will have a proven track record in producing engaging designs that help increase brand awareness and retention.
2. How do they plan to reach your business objectives and have they already achieved some that were similar?
Every specialized company has its own way of approaching projects and helping clients achieve their objectives. However, only the best of them will tell you that every brand is different and each of them should enjoy an approach tailored to their needs.
Most agencies kick their new collaborations off with a questionnaire designed to understand the brand, the business behind it and the client’s objectives, as well as gather the resources they need to get started.
3. Can they describe the creative process?
Discovering whether the potential candidates on our list have clearly defined processes in place will give you an insight into their organizational structure and how they manage their projects.
It will show you how they proactively optimize their efficiency which is particularly important when working with a client that charges by the hour.
4. What materials do they need from you and when do they want them provided?
Depending on the work that needs to be done, the experts you hire may ask you to provide different types of materials.
This may include brand style guide, logo in an editable file such as SVG, digital assets and online profiles, market research and buyer personas.
5. What do they think your brand should focus on, in terms of design trends?
Asking potential companies what trends your brand should incorporate will give you an insight into how observant the agency is.
It will also tell you how in tune they are with the current trends and how strategic they are as not all trends will fit your unique needs.
6. Are there any of your current visual identity cues that they like and are there any that they would like to change? If yes, how?
The answers to these questions will help you evaluate how well potential partners understand your business, values and objectives.
And, it will give you expert insight into your existing brand as well as help you identify red flags such as the agency working to maximize your investment rather than maximize their value to your business.
7. Do they plan to conduct market research on your target audience and how to target them visually?
Conducting market analysis on your potential clients will allow your partner agency to determine your client base, create a stronger strategy and fine-tune their marketing materials.
By doing so, your partner will also be able to deliver work that stands out and outsmarts the competition.
8. Who will comprise the team that will work on your project?
Once you narrow down the list of candidates, you should find out who of the team members will work on your project before you make your final choice.
This will help you understand what type of expertise you have at your disposal as well as to what extent you can leverage your team’s skills.
9. What is their area of expertise and what previous work have they done in the company?
The best specialized firms have different areas of expertise and offer a range of services.
However, it is the agency you hire that should be able to create outstanding work that communicates the brand’s vision.
Moreover, they should understand your business needs and requirements and be able to offer a customized strategy that will consistently promote your brand message.
10. Is their work unique or do they use pre-made templates?
The best-in-class agencies will never produce their designs using templates. To create work that is compelling they should use their creativity and develop unique products.
They should build a custom design that will help you stand out from your competition by studying your brand and business needs and then develop an idea from scratch.
11. How do they see our collaboration once the design elements are rolled out, will they be measuring the efficiency and results with you?
While most of these projects are short-term, you should aim at investing in a long-term partnership.
Moreover, the designers should also focus on tracking key metrics and provide you with analytical reports that will give you an insight into the effectiveness of their work.
12. How do they determine the project’s timeline?
While it is normal that you as a client want to have a project deadline, it is also important to
remain flexible. Graphic design is a creative process that might take longer than estimated.
However, a professional company should set specific timeframes and task deadlines as well as report on the project’s progress so that you know when to expect the project delivery.
13. Will you have regular meetings to touch base?
Be it in person or online, you and your partners should regularly meet during your project. They should set weekly meetings where they will report on the finished tasks and project progress.
However, they should also be open to feedback and criticism and consider it as constructive advice that will help them make your design more compelling.
14. Can you edit the designs once your project ends?
Sometimes you may need to make small changes in your designs. Whether it is your logo or graphics, there may be times that you will need to adjust some elements in your designs based on your marketing strategies.
This is why the company you hire should provide you with vector files that you can easily edit using illustrators. In other words, you should make sure that you own the designs.
15. Will you be able to trademark the designs they deliver?
The best companies should have a different policy when it comes to trademarking. Some may allow it and some may not. However, we recommend that you pick a partner that makes no such restrictions.
So, before signing the contract, you should carefully go through all the clauses and speak to your legal advisor on how to complete this process.
Takeaways On Graphic Design Companies
These types of design companies helps you establish a memorable brand identity that engages the consumers and turn them into paying customers.
They approximately charge between $50 and $150 per hour.
Not all creative design agencies are the same, though the best stand out for their exceptional talent, innovative ideas and award-winning creations.
The recommended steps to selecting the best partner for your business are:
- Search for professional partnership
- See if they have organized processes in place
- Understand which of them offer clear pricing structures
- Check their past work
- Learn how transparent they are when it comes to collaboration
Best of luck!