Table of Contents
- What Is Unique About Custom Software Development Companies In NYC?
- What Does A Software Company In New York Do?
- What Are The Different Types Of Software Development Companies In NYC?
- A Quick Overview Of New York’s Software Industry: Understanding The People Who Will Be Developing Your Solutions
- How Much Does Custom Software Development In NYC Cost?
- Why Hire A Software Development Company In NYC?
- How To Choose The Best Software Development Company In New York For Your Business
- 15 Questions To Ask Custom Software Development Companies In NYC York Before You Make Your Choice
- Takeaways: Who Should Consider The Custom Software Development In New York?
What Is Unique About Custom Software Development Companies In NYC?
Similarly to other companies in the US and the world, custom software development companies in NYC also specialize in developing solutions that allow people to perform various tasks across different devices.
However, there are a few aspects that separate them from all others.
On the one hand, they operate in the world’s most advanced and competitive market. So, they are bound to:
- Offer high-quality services
- Hire some of the world’s best IT talent
- Have access to the latest software development trends and tech
Custom software development companies in NYC also tend to develop deep expertise in developing solutions for the region’s leading industries such as:
In addition, tech is one of the leading sectors in the city that enjoys continuous job growth and in 2018 it added 142,600 positions. Compared to 2009, that’s a rise of 80%.
Many of the finest software developers in the world take this opportunity to contribute to the constant progress of this sector.
What Does A Software Company In New York Do?
Custom software development companies in NYC offer standard software development services, such as:
- Network set-up and management
- Database management
- Quality assurance
- Software support
- And more
Many of them develop deep technical expertise in areas like end-to-end product development, artificial intelligence, big data and Internet of Things.
They deliver their services to thriving local startups, as well the world-leading brands and institutions.
What Are The Different Types Of Software Development Companies In NYC?
There are many different types of custom software development companies in NYC.
We can divide them into three parts, based on:
- The solutions they offer: Some of these companies specialize in building websites, others in building mobile apps or desktop solutions. However, there are also agencies that have experience in building complex operating systems and/or specialize in developing data science, cloud computing, IoT, AI and other solutions.
- The industries they serve: Most of these firms are flexible in terms of the industries they serve, while some specialize in particular niches. You may find that a software developer tends to have the most experience working with clients in the locally dominant industries such as retail, fashion and publishing.
A Quick Overview Of New York’s Software Industry: Understanding The People Who Will Be Developing Your Solutions
Don’t let the bright lights of Wall Street and advertising agencies fool you into thinking that the software industry is crunched in some corner of New York.
On the contrary, the city has one of the highest concentrations of IT professionals and software companies in the US.
How Many Software Professionals Does New York City Employ?
New York City’s tech industry employs approximately 320,000 people – one of the largest pools of software professionals in the US.
This means that by outsourcing your project to a software company in New York, you gain access to this incredible wealth of talent.
Here is the breakdown to the most popular specializations:
- 13,860 Computer Network Support Specialists – the highest in the US
- 42,740 Computer Systems Analysts – the highest in the US
- 41,940 Computer User Support Specialists – the highest in the US
- 10,370 Computer Network Architects – the highest in the US
- 28,220 Network and Computer Systems Administrators – the highest in the US
- 8,490 Database Administrators – the highest in the US
- 12,530 Web Developers – the highest in the US
- 8,220 Information Security Analysts – 2nd highest in the US
- 20,270 Software Developers (Systems Software)
- 78,380 Software Developers (Applications)
- 1,860+ Other IT Professionals
Software Development Companies In New York And Tech Brands: Branches And Headquarters
New York is home to world-leading tech companies, mainly publishing and media, eCommerce, financial services and creative web platforms.
The high concentration of name-brand tech companies testifies to the standards and quality of work software companies in NYC maintain.
Additionally, these companies are known to subcontract smaller software firms some of which are ranked in our list above.
With such star-studded client portfolios, these companies have the expertise and creativity to deliver high0 quality solutions.
Here are some of the best-known tech companies that hail from and are headquartered in NYC:
- Bloomberg: Founded in 1981, Bloomberg is a go-to source of news and information for financial professionals. Over 9,000 people work at New York headquarters, forming part of Bloomberg’s 19,000 global workforces.
- Local employees: 9,000
- Address: 731 Lexington Avenue, New York
- Etsy: Etsy is an online marketplace for handcrafted and unique goods. The company is Brooklyn-based, founded in 2005 and currently employs over 800 people.
- Local employees: Undisclosed
- Address: 117 Adams Street, Brooklyn
- Vice Media: Known for their daring coverage of underground and pop cultures, international phenomena, tech and international news, Vice Media has a loyal fanbase worldwide.
- Local employees: 1,000
- Address: 49 S 2nd St, Brooklyn
- BuzzFeed: BuzzFeed is a world-famous digital magazine, advertising platform and news center with a web audience of over 200 million.
- Local employees: 600+
- Address: 111 E 18th St, New York
- Meetup: Meetup was founded in 2002 to bring people together. It is an events platform for themed get-togethers centered around shared interests and purposes like learning and discovery.
- Local employees: 200+
- Address: 632 Broadway
In addition to the locally grown ones, here are the biggest name-brand tech companies with branches in New York City:
- Google’s NYC office is located at 111 Eight Avenue and employs over 7000 New Yorkers. Last year, Google announced major NYC expansion plans which could result in 12,000 additional staff.
- Amazon may have withdrawn the plans for HQ2 in New York, but the eCommerce giant has already built quite a presence in the city employing well over 3,500 residents.
- Facebook is another tech giant that has claimed their piece of New York. Their branch is located on the corner of 770 Broadway and 225 Park Avenue, and houses over 1,000 local employees.
- Salesforce develops and markets a leading CRM platform. The company’s New York branch is located in Bryant Park in Midtown and employs 950 NYC residents.
- Spotify, the music streaming platform, has an NYC brand in 4 World Trade Center where 600 of its local employees sit.
How Much Does Custom Software Development In NYC Cost?
The wages of a software developer in New York are 85% higher than the median national ones. On average, software engineers in NYC make $107,000 per year.
What does this mean for your software development project?
Wages will dictate the average rates you can expect to pay for your software development project. In New York, this will translate to roughly $100 or more per hour.
However, you may come across rates as low as $40 per hour. Software companies in New York are only able to achieve such rates by opening offices or subcontracting developers abroad.
If this is the case, be sure to gain a thorough insight into the company’s operations and how these would reflect on your collaboration. The questions you will want to be answered are:
- What time zone are my developers in?
- How do we navigate the time difference?
- Should I expect any language barriers? If so, how do we overcome them?
- Should I be aware of any cultural differences and local holidays?
- What are the communication channels for instant messaging and video conferencing?
Why Hire A Software Development Company In NYC?
The Big Apple has some of the most competitive industries and businesses worldwide. As such, it attracts some of the most skilled developers out there.
According to the U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics, in May 2018 there were 52,640 software developers in New York. And the number is constantly on the increase due to the high demand for these experts.
Here is why you should also consider hiring software companies in NYC:
- Leverage their experience in the leading industries around the globe: Given the city’s influence on the global finance, publishing and advertising scene, the best software companies in New York will have built deep expertise in these domains and in a lot of more.
- Reach the local audience: To reach your New York-based audience you should work with a company that has a deep understanding of your local ecosystem, market and competitors. And is there a better choice of a business partner than the local developers themselves?
- Outperform the competition: No matter whether your target market is located locally or globally, you still need qualified experts to push you a step ahead of your competition. Custom software development companies in NYC have access to premium tools and the latest technologies that help them offer cutting-edge solutions. Working with them will give you access to these tools and help you compete with both local and global brands.
Expect to find some of the industry’s leading experts who are welcoming of any challenge you may throw their way.
After all, the sheer competition and ecosystem of the local tech industry would not allow for anything less.
How To Choose The Best Software Development Company In New York For Your Business
With such a big pool of qualified custom software development companies in NYC to choose from, finding the right one can be a daunting task.
However, asking the right questions can make the process more straightforward and put you on the fast lane towards the right agency for your project.
These are the three most important aspects to focus on when screening software companies in NYC:
Research the company’s previous clients, case studies and portfolio items to understand how deep their knowledge of your industry is. If they haven’t had exposure to your industry, then seek to understand how thoroughly and efficiently they build domain knowledge.
Another key aspect to explore is their collective mindset. Ask them about their current shortcomings, past failures and the lessons they’ve learned from them.
A team that is aware and unafraid to acknowledge the less shiny sides to their performance, and shows strategic initiative to overcome them, is the team that will work hard to solve your project’s challenges as well.
Client reviews can help you understand more facets of the candidate’s business than just their expertise.
They can tell you how easy it is to collaborate with the company’s management and developers; How attentive they are to details; How transparent they are in planning, performing and pricing; and more.
A pro tip is to also take employee reviews into consideration. You can tell a lot about how the company is going to treat your business based on the way they treat their employees.
Platforms like Glassdoor can help you hear the voices of the people who will be developing your solution.
When you work with an outside custom software development company in New York, you want to make sure that you’re kept in the loop.
You need to know what’s happening with your project throughout the process. This includes brainstorming, creation, implementation, testing and beyond. This will have a direct impact on your business, so you don’t want to feel left in the dark.
Communication has the potential to make or break a project — and even a business as a whole.
That’s why you need to work with a software company in NYC that provides clear and succinct communication throughout the journey.
This helps keep them accountable and it also helps you understand what software is being created and how it will impact overall operations.
You want to work with an agency partner that works with you. You don’t want to feel like you’re pulling teeth to get the information you need. Your software development company should offer it freely and without hesitation.
Make it clear from the beginning what you want your communication schedule to include. If you want to meet in person, make that known. If you want regular calls, put that on the schedule.
Whatever type of communication is best for you, make sure you’re on the same page.
15 Questions To Ask Custom Software Development Companies In NYC York Before You Make Your Choice
Here are a few questions that you should consider to make your choice easier:
Ask What Solutions They Specialize In
Software companies in NYC come with a world of experience creating a variety of different software that builds your brand.
From creating a more efficient process for business operations and managing customer relations to monitoring online platforms and more — these developers have the experience and the tools to create custom software.
Make sure you ask the software development company you’re working with what types of solutions they provide and what they specialize in.
You need to make sure that the outsourcing agency you’re working with can provide you with the services you need, not services that are convenient for them.
There are a number of different software systems that development companies can create.
But not all of them can help you achieve your ultimate business goals. This means that you need to do some investigation before you can decide on the company that’s right for you.
- What type of solutions do you provide?
- Are you more experienced in what type of software development over another?
- What type of software development experience do you have?
- Do you create custom solutions or do you have existing structures that you use?
- How do you customize a solution to a given brand?
- What types of software have you created in the past?
- Have you ever worked with any of my competitors?
Ask About Their Team
Another key indicator of a top software development company is its team.
You want to make sure that the agency you hire has a robust team of professionals on hand to work on the project and achieve success.
Each team member brings a special skill and idea to the table. This means that your team should have global experience and expertise.
Ask a potential software development partner about the members of their team, what roles
they play and what experience they have.
These professional experts have talent and abilities that your in-house team likely doesn’t.
But you still want to vet them to make sure that they are a fit for the project at hand.
They need to be experienced, but they also need to be passionate and hardworking. You can learn more about how they feel about working and invest in relationships by asking them questions about their overall work ethic and their reasons for choosing this line of work.
The more you know about the team, the more confident you will feel that your project will be a success.
Some key questions to consider are:
- What team members will be working on our project?
- What experience does your team have in software development?
- Do they have experience creating software in my industry?
- What are some successful projects they’ve worked on in the past?
Ask Leading Software Developers In New York How They Set And Achieve Goals
Goal-setting is an important skill for success that your software development agency in New York needs to have.
Those that set goals are 10 times more likely to achieve them.
This means that you need to be on top of your agency at every step of the way to ensure that they are on the right track.
But what would be even better would be if your company already had a process to achieve and surpass goals so that you didn’t have to play the part of a project manager throughout the entire process.
Ask your partner how they set and achieve goals. Ask them what tools they have and what past experience they can rely on to put them on the right path to hitting both your goals and theirs.
You need to achieve goals in order to succeed as a business. And when you work with a top custom software development company in New York, you can be sure you’ll hit them fast.
- How will your teamwork reach our goals?
- What systems and tools do you use to track progress?
- What is the timeline for this project?
- How will you communicate goals achieved throughout the process?
Takeaways: Who Should Consider The Custom Software Development In New York?
Surrounded by world-renowned universities and brands, custom software development companies in NYC are the right choice for clients looking to develop high-end software solutions, particularly in the field of finance, publishing, retail, healthcare and manufacturing.
Most of these companies will command hefty prices, but the results are likely to be nothing short of impressive.
To hire the right software development agency in New York:
- Read the companies’ case studies and portfolios to see who their past clients are and how well they know your industry.
- Set a meeting and ask them about their shortcomings and failures as well as how they solve the project’s challenges and issues.
- Go through the reviews of their past clients left to see how reliable and transparent they are as well as how they treat the partners they work with.
Best of luck!