Table of Contents
- What Do Software Development Companies In The USA Do?
- The Goals A Software Development Company In The U.S. Can Help You Achieve
- The Benefits Of Partnering With A Software Development Company In The U.S.
- Is Software Patentable In The U.S.?
- How Many Software Companies Are There In The U.S.?
- How To Hire The Right Software Development Company In The U.S.
What Do Software Development Companies In The USA Do?
Similar to their other competitors around the globe, software development companies in the USA are professional third-party firms dedicated to the conceptualization and execution of digital software solutions.
These software solutions span a large range and can include:
- Mobile applications
- Operating systems
- Customer relationship management systems
- Operations management systems
- And more
These companies have teams of dedicated experts who can build various software systems. Typically, they are comprised of the following individuals:
- Project Managers
- IT Specialists
- Frontend Developers
- Backend Developers
- Cybersecurity experts
- App Developers
- QA Testers
- System Administrators
Notable team members include:
- Frontend developers who build the interface the external users interact with
- Backend developers who code the content management system (CMS, or also known as the backend) and connect that with the frontend
- Cybersecurity experts who ensure a software system is protected from digital bugs, malware and hackers
- QA testers who continually test the software throughout development to ensure it functions properly
In addition, software development companies in the USA may offer additional services like:
- AR/VR technology development
- Web design
- App design
- Digital marketing services, such as SEO
- IT system networking
- And more
Because many organizations are shifting towards completely digital solutions for all of their business needs, it is more common than ever before to find a reliable United States software development firm that provides additional services.
The Goals Can A Software Development Company In The U.S. Help You Achieve?
In all actuality, customer software development can be created to achieve any objective a brand has. That’s the beauty of custom software—it is built specifically for your needs, your goals, your customers, and your employees. Thus, you get to call the shots.
However, if we were to break it down, software development projects – particularly within the United States – set out to achieve at least one of three things.
1. Improve Employee Workflow And Productivity
Software that is developed for internal – or employee – usage is typically aimed at improving employee productivity in some fashion. Workflow software solutions often help team members to streamline processes or automate tasks.
Examples of this include:
- Automatic data gathering
- Cloud-based storage
- And more
2. Improve User Experience With Customers – Whether New Or Old
Software solutions can also be frontward facing, aiming at improving a customer’s interaction with a brand from a different angle. User experience focused software typically has specific key performance indicators (KPIs) attached to it.
Whether those numbers are reached or not will signify if the project was a success.
Common customer-centric software solutions can include:
- Mobile apps
- eCommerce checkout systems
- And more
3. Improve The Efficiency Of A Personal Task
In some cases, improving the efficiency of a personal task could fall under one of the other two categories.
For instance, a business could work with a software developer to create automated forms that gather customer data instead of making employees input the same information manually.
However, depending on an individual’s level of experience, they may be able to create their own digital solution that solves a highly personal need.
And because that could still constitute a software solution, it is simpler to separate personal use from the other two software development goals.
The Benefits Of Partnering With A Software Development Company In The U.S.
There are some benefits to outsourcing software development projects to a developer in a different country other than the United States.
The most obvious of which is lesser costs. For instance, software development companies outside of the United States can charge less than 1/3 of what a U.S. software developer might charge.
So, why should brands like you even work with a software development company in the U.S.?
For the many, many, many benefits that these companies offer, of course!
1. Unparalleled Expertise
The United States has thousands – if not, more – of qualified software developers. They can be found in every state, every major city, and, frankly, most other cities, too.
Brands who are seeking the best of the best in terms of software services should strongly consider partnering with a software development company in the U.S.
2. Closer Proximities & Time Zones
Software Development Companies in the USA have closer locations to their North American clients – which is particularly important if you anticipate wanting a representative to visit your office.
Additionally, U.S. developers work more similar hours across time zones, which can improve productivity and collaboration.
3. Similar Cultures
As with any professional project, collaboration is simpler when you come from similar cultures.
This minimizes language barriers, ensures that the software development firm and the client work similar schedules (read: national holidays…) and can improve rapport by providing identifiable talking points with which to bond over.
With the Global Competitiveness Index of 85.6% (out of 100%), the US is one of the most competitive countries in the whole world.
What does this mean for software development?
Software development companies in the USA have to maintain the highest standards in their offering, service delivery and all other aspects of their business to remain relevant.
This has not only shaped them into some of the finest experts in the world but also helps you leverage their innovation capacities to get a cutting-edge product.
5. Access To Latest Tech And Resources
Operating in such a competitive environment, the US-based software development companies are bound to count on the help of the latest tech and resources to meet the demanding needs of their clients.
So, partnering with one of the top agencies in our list will give you access to premium tools and technologies that can push you a step ahead of your competition.
Is Software Patentable In The U.S.?
Many businesses find themselves wondering if their software is able to be patented in the United States. This is an especially important question for organizations that invest in custom software development.
After all, businesses that hire developers for custom software projects usually completely own the software solution outright once it is developed.
This differs greatly from readymade software solutions, which are owned by a third-party and contracted/licensed out to professional clients so they can utilize them as well.
So, is software patentable in the United States? Well, the answer is… sort of.
Software that is eligible for an approved patent must meet a certain set of criteria, set forth by the U.S. government and enforced by the Supreme Court.
The U.S. standards for software patents are:
- The software must improve computer functionality in some way, or
- The software must solve a computing challenge in a unique and innovative manner.
In addition, when the software is being coded, it must be completely focused on the specific software solution – not as a general catch-all for many solutions.
Because it can be difficult to actually receive a patent for software solutions within the United States, ticking the box of specific innovation is a crucial driving point for successful approval.
Luckily, the best software developers in the U.S. are well-versed in building fully-customized software solutions for particular clients and platforms.
When you select the best software development firm, you gain access to a team of experts who are likely familiar with securing U.S. software patents and can advise you more thoroughly.
How Many Software Companies Are There In The U.S.?
Software development is an incredibly lucrative industry in the United States. In fact, recent research found that there were over 525,000 companies dedicated to software development and IT services, as of 2015.
Perhaps even more interesting? More than 40,000 technology startups were started in the year 2018. This demonstrates that the American software industry is growing at a rapid pace. – which makes sense, considering the United States foothold in the software development market.
How Much Do Software Development Companies In The USA Charge For Their Services?
Software development companies in the USA can charge in four different ways. These are:
- By the project
- Based on project results
- On retainer, or a flat fee
Hourly invoices are the most common, as they accurately track how much work a development team has truly put into the project. This method breaks down costs so there is little room for error or dispute, making it easy for both parties.
Top software developers within the USA can charge at least $100-$175 per person per hour of work.
However, software development companies can invoice per project – or a flat fee for each specific project or task; based on results – which means that specific key performance indicators must be reached in order for payment (or a higher payment) to be delivered; and on retainer – which means that a software development firm receives a flat fee for a set number of hours to be dedicated to the client.
These hours can be allocated to any (or as many) projects as the client sees fit.
How To Hire The Right Software Development Company In The U.S.
When looking for the top US software development companies, we employ a methodology to assess several key elements such as reliability in the market, the length of service, remarkable output, client testimonials and the company's overall expertise, to ensure that our listed providers can make a significant contribution to your business. Learn more about our agency selection criteria here.
To make an informed hiring decision for your software project, make sure to take these factors into consideration:
- Communication skills: Strong communication skills are required for writing documentation, sending emails or messages as well as sharing different ideas and concepts to clients. What’s more, these experts also work closely with members of different departments including designers and SEO experts, so effective communication can be the key to delivering your product successfully.
- Cost of services: The cost of software development companies in the USA varies greatly from agency to agency since they depend on different factors including talent pool, service quality and organization setup. Before reviewing any of the candidates, set a budget so that later you are able to find the right fit.
- Business goals: Clearly define the purpose of your software solutions, the key functionalities and other relevant features. The better defined your project is, the easier you can find a partner who can meet your expectations.
- Past work: The portfolios of the top software development companies in the USA will give you an insight into their level of experience, types of projects they’ve worked on and types of clientele they’ve served. These will help you discover which agencies have the required technical skills and industry expertise to deliver a cutting-edge product.
- Client feedback: To check a company’s track record, read their reviews and see what previous clients say about them. This will help you pick a reliable partner that has the capacity to meet the quality and timeliness of your project.
- Innovation: To get a step ahead of your competitors you need a software development company in the U.S. that is well experienced but also innovative. Don’t search for developers who only have theoretical knowledge but who are also creative and can help your business stand out from the crowd.
- Project management: The software development companies in the USA that have structured processes and clearly defined tools to manage, document and communicate their work will be more likely to deliver your solution on time.
- Clean coding: The US software developers you work with should incorporate clean codes as well. They should follow the best practices in the programming languages they use as well as the pre-set principles. So, find out what is their development process and what principles they pay attention to.