Table of Contents
- What Makes Software Development Companies In Austin, TX Unique?
- How Much Do Software Development Companies In Austin Charge For Their Services?
- How To Choose The Best Software Development Company In Austin?
- 10 Questions To Ask When Interviewing Software Development Companies In Austin
- Software Companies In Texas: Understanding The People Who Will Be Developing Your Solutions
- Takeaways: Who Should Consider Partnering With A Software Development Company In Austin?
What Makes Software Development Companies In Austin, TX Unique?
If you look at developers around the US, you will find that most of them are willing to take on projects in almost any industry, and they also tend to be quite flexible when it comes to technologies.
However, a good rule of thumb to follow in these cases is to broaden your view and focus on their greater home ecosystem.
Software development companies in Austin have built expertise in the locally dominant industries such:
- Financial Service & Insurance
- Life Sciences
- Data Management
- Space Technology
So, they can especially deliver high-quality products for clients in these sectors.
What’s more, Austin is a top destination for corporate headquarters in the US like:
Serving and working with global brands like these, software development companies in Austin have turned into some of the finest experts on the market that deliver internationally competitive products.
Austin ranks first on Forbes’s list for best job growth states. And considering the fact that it has a low cost of living, (-49.5% lower than in NYC and -19.4% lower than in Miami), the city attracts some of the best talents in the country.
How Much Do Software Development Companies In Austin Charge For Their Services?
According to Zip Recruiter, the average annual tech salary in Austin is $64,721 per year.
Houston IT professionals make $66,054 whereas Dallas engineers make $66,701 per year, on average.
However, the salary fluctuates across professions and experience levels.
Systems developers earn an average of $108,750 per year, while app developers $109,800.
Translated to project costs, when working with software companies in Texas whose workforce is entirely home-based, expect to pay upwards of $75 per hour.
Some software companies in Texas will be able to achieve lower rates by subcontracting foreign workforce/agencies or maintaining offices in less expensive US cities.
Should this be the case, flush out all the details and how they would affect your project.
How To Choose The Best Software Development Company In Austin?
Choosing among software development companies in Austin, TX goes beyond expertise and cost.
You should find a partner whose skills and experience match your requirements, and whose development methods and approaches to work are in tune with your organization.
Here are a few factors to consider that will make your choice easier:
- Learn about their core area of expertise: Software companies in Texas come in different shapes and sizes. They have their own strengths and weaknesses and you should select a partner that can proudly highlight them. In other words, make sure you choose an agency that has an understanding of your requirements and area of interest.
- Find out how much work they can handle: Some firms aim for short term and small projects while others undertake large-scale projects. Depending on your needs, search for a company that is able to handle the amount of work your project requires and who goes under innovation regularly.
- Understand what security princesses they have in place: Malicious activities are constantly on the rise. In fact, in 2019, data breaches were up for 54% than the previous year. This highlights the importance of selecting a partner that can deliver highly secured solutions. So, before you make your choice, discover how these companies can keep your product data protected.
- Go through their reviews: Considering what past clients say about the best software companies in Texas will give you an insight into a few key aspects. You will learn how easy it is to work with them, whether they deliver their projects on time, how reliable and flexible they are.
- Ask about the methodologies they use: Every company has its own preferred project development methodology. However, the best ones should be able to incorporate different methods based on the client’s needs, location and other factors that can affect communication and project delivery.
10 Questions To Ask When Interviewing Software Development Companies In Austin
Here are the top 10 questions that you should ask software development companies in Austin before you hire the right one:
- Have they developed solutions in your industry? – If they have, they are likely to have a good jump start on the project and move quicker than others as they’d need less time to build domain knowledge. If not, try to gauge how quickly they can catch up.
- Have they developed solutions similar to yours? – Though it shouldn’t be a deciding factor, experience in building solutions similar to yours can be particularly helpful in highly complex projects.
- Which technologies do they use and why? – Software companies in Houston will typically have a preferred stack or two. If these can answer your project requirement, that is another benefit that will put you on a fast(er) track to completion.
- Are they open to other tech stacks? – Flexibility is crucial for successful software development. A company’s willingness to step outside their comfort zone for the sake of your project is a great indicator of this.
- What is their preferred development method and why? – Most software companies in Houston choose Agile for exactly the reasons mentioned in the explanation of the previous question – flexibility. No project runs smoothly, i.e. exactly as planned, so be sure to select a development method that suits your organization’s pace and way of dealing with change and challenge.
- How do they deliver their services? – Some software development companies in Dallas will take on tasks on a one-time project basis, others will build dedicated teams that will see your solution through the entire development cycle and beyond, to maintenance and further development.
- How structured are their communication processes? – High-performing software companies in Texas will take a serious approach to communication. They will have clearly defined channels, practices and contacts to manage the flow of information, accelerate reaction time and facilitate documentation.
- What do their previous and current clients have to say? – When conversing with references, focus on aspects beyond those you can learn on the company’s website or during the conversation with their representatives. Try to understand how easy it is to collaborate with them, how quickly and effectively they react to change, what is their approach to problem-solving and how creative they are.
- What do their employees have to say? – We always say “happy employees are creative employees.” If unable to directly interview the company’s developers and other software professionals, turn to Glassdoor and social media. Do keep in mind, though, that negative reviews are common and to be expected. Look beyond the unhappy few to gauge the real sentiment within and towards the organization.
- How much do they charge for their services? – This is an important factor to consider when hiring software development companies in Dallas. Compare their rates to find the best value for your dollar.
Software Companies In Texas: Understanding The People Who Will Be Developing Your Solutions
Tech is one of the fastest-growing industries in Texas.
Houston’s tech industry itself generates $28 billion per year. With a 5.8% economic impact, it is one of the leading industries in the region.
In just ten years, the number of Houston-based tech startups has gone up by almost 150%, rising from 567 in 2008 to 1,409 in 2018.
The trend follows the migration of the IT workforce within the country; the cost of living in other major tech hubs like San Francisco and New York is perpetually on the rise, pushing the IT talent towards less expensive and more family-friendly cities.
As a result, the concentration of all types of IT companies in Houston, Austin and Dallas is growing, whether it is startups seeking access to funding, major corporations looking for business-friendly environments, or software development companies in pursuit of highly skilled IT talent.
5 Leading Tech Companies In Texas
Best software development companies in Austin, Houston and Dallas are deeply influenced by their local tech peers and overall environment.
These are a couple of the world-leading companies that shape the Texas tech scene:
National Instruments Corporation
National Instruments Corporation is an Austin-based company that develops automated test and measurement systems to help companies solve their engineering challenges.
- Address: 11500 N Mopac Expy, Austin, Texas 78759, US
- Employees: 1,000+
HostGator is a well-known web hosting platform, as well as an SEO and web development service provider headquartered in Houston since 2007.
- Address: 5005 Mitchelldale St #100, Houston
- Employees: 1,000+
Headquartered in Houston, FlightAware is the world’s largest flight data platform, tracking over 10,000 aircraft operators and 12,000,000 passengers.
- Address: Eleven Greenway Plaza, Suite 2900
- Employees: 350+ (unconfirmed)
SolarWinds is an innovative company headquartered in Austin. It develops tools to help companies better manage their systems and networks.
- Address: 7171 Southwest Pkwy, Austin, Texas 78735, US
- Employees: 1,000+
ELM Solutions is headquartered in Houston. The company builds technology solutions that help clients become more productive and efficient.
- Address: 3009 Post Oak Blvd Suite 1100 Houston, TX 77056
- Employees: 10,000+
Takeaways: Who Should Consider Partnering With A Software Development Company In Austin?
Texas is a tech hub thriving in an environment with deep roots in engineering and heavy industries. It is also an affordable location where a highly skilled IT workforce has been flocking to in the past few years.
As such, you should consider outsourcing your project to software development companies in Austin, Houston and Dallas if you are looking for highly skilled development professionals for better prices than the eye-watering ones you’ll encounter in San Francisco and New York.
These companies are great for any project, particularly those that are highly complex, technical and/or in one of the fields the region is known for.
To select the right partner for your business:
- Learn about their core area of expertise
- Find out how much work they can handle
- Understand what security princesses they have in place\
- Go through their reviews
- Ask about the methodologies they use
Best of luck!