Can you imagine today's world without using mobile phones and apps?
Applications, software developed for a specific purpose, have become the right hand of modern people. Whether you want to learn, entertain, inform, calculate, complete work tasks or connect with people, there is a suitable app for everything.
Realizing how profitable mobile apps can be, many businesses are considering launching their own versions. However, developing a mobile app is not that easy.
The first question that comes to mind is how to choose a mobile app development company when there are over 585,000 technology enterprises in the U.S. only.
Statistics prove how popular and important mobile apps are. In the second quarter of 2022, over 3.5 million applications were available on the Google Play Store. At the same time, Apple App Store had 2.2 million available apps. Both figures are constantly growing.
Consumers spent a total of $65 billion on in-app purchases, subscriptions and premium apps, on both dominant platforms, in the first half of 2022. That is a 1% increase compared to the same period in 2021, when they generated $64.4 million in income.
Creating a mobile app brings many benefits — but only if you find a mobile app development company that can faithfully implement your business idea. To help you make the right decision, we created a seven-step guide for choosing a mobile app development company.
Table of Contents
- How To Choose a Mobile App Development Company: 7 Vital Steps
- Search for a Mobile App Development Company
- Ensure You Can Communicate With Developers
- Research Candidates’ Qualifications and Experience
- Evaluate the Developer’s Portfolio
- Ask for References
- Find a Developer Willing to Go the Extra Mile
- Don’t Let the Price Determine Your Choice
- Bonus Advice: Send Out a Mobile App Development RFP
- Top Mobile App Development Companies To Trust in 2023
- Find a Mobile App Development Company That Suits Your Needs
How To Choose a Mobile App Development Company: 7 Vital Steps
When choosing a mobile app development company, prepare to do a lot of research and ask many questions. Don’t hesitate — insufficient information about the resources available to the developer and application development stages can ultimately cost you time, money and nerves.
Follow these seven steps to ensure you’re choosing the right partner for this important project:
1. Search for a Mobile App Development Company
The first step is gathering a list of mobile app development companies you could hire. You can find them through recommendations or online research.
Briefly research each option before you shortlist them. Take a look at the company's essential competencies and services, as well as Google’s reviews and on-site testimonials. Put the top picks on the list of candidates you will interview.
The location of the company you’re planning to outsource app development is also important. The language barrier and different marketing demands could lead to many misunderstandings.
Although you might find lower-price arrangements in Eastern Europe, make sure that the potential developers align with your business goals.
2. Ensure You Can Communicate With Developers
Mobile app development for small businesses and large enterprises equally requires many team members with different responsibilities: for example, software developers, graphic designers, UI/UX designers, QA and performance testing experts.
All team members must communicate with each other and you to achieve successful teamwork and the best possible app performance.
Effective communication will minimize errors, save time, and make the most of the budget. Make sure the agency you’re hiring uses a collaboration platform you’re familiar with — for example, Trello, Slack or Asana.
After you establish initial contact and create an app prototype (outline), you can keep in touch and track progress through collaboration tools.
3. Research Candidates’ Qualifications and Experience
Although soft skills are important in every collaboration, when hiring app developers, also focus on their hard skills, aka qualifications.
You want to entrust your project to a mobile app developer with in-depth knowledge; therefore, you must ask about their technical capabilities. That way, you’ll be sure your app is in expert hands that will develop it efficiently and accurately. Partnering with the best IT services company can also offer added assurance in this regard.
Depending on your requirements, hire a team with experience in developing iOS or Android apps — or, preferably, both. Experienced mobile app developers can advise you which platform is more suitable for your app's niche based on the success of their previous clients.
Also, you may start with an app for one platform and then gradually add another — ideally using the services of the same team.
4. Evaluate the Developer’s Portfolio
Successful mobile app developers have an extensive portfolio of previous work you can take a look at. From it, you may learn important details about the developer's technical proficiency, project theme, industry, and more.
While looking through the portfolio, concentrate on user-friendly and visually appealing interfaces because these are aspects you want to have for your business's mobile app. .
You can go a step further — download the app that the company you plan to hire developed and make sure that’s the design you’re looking for.
5. Ask for References
Reading positive online reviews is great, but we all know they are easy to fake. Hearing positive impressions from satisfied customers takes things to another level. Ask the development company to provide you with previous clients' contact information so you can get their feedback.
If the company’s representative hesitates sharing previous clients, that is not a good sign. Keep looking for another, more transparent mobile app development company.
You can also use a specialized online directory like DesignRush to find more reviews about mobile app development companies.
6. Find a Developer Willing to Go the Extra Mile
The developer’s primary job is to create your mobile app, but they can also help you decide on various business matters and monitor the progress of your app even after launching.
For example, experienced developers can advise you on monetizing — is it better to generate revenue through in-app purchases, subscription plans or in-app ads?
Look for a client-oriented agency partner that will share your concerns and stay with you through the app’s entire lifecycle.
7. Don’t Let the Price Determine Your Choice
Price often determines the choice of mobile app developer, but keep in mind one thing:
You’re not looking for the cheapest or the most expensive app. You want an attractively designed, user-friendly and engaging app that users will love (and spend money on).
Depending on the app's complexity, its creation process can be long and require the skills of different specialists. Design, features, platform choice and many other factors impact the cost of your final product.
A professional mobile app development company will give you insight into the project's total cost, depending on the charging method you choose:
Fixed-price model is excellent for simple, easy-to-make apps when you know to the smallest detail what features and functionalities your app should have.
The time and material pricing model is more flexible and allows you to change the original plan on the go. Following this model, developers prioritize the app’s quality since they don’t have to rush to finish the project as soon as possible.
When interviewing a potential development partner, ask what pricing model best suits your needs and ask them to elaborate on why.
Bonus Advice: Send Out a Mobile App Development RFP
Researching and interviewing every agency candidate may be too time-consuming. An efficient solution to this is to prepare and distribute a request for proposal (RFP).
An RFP is a business document in which you announce and describe your mobile application development project and solicit bids from companies qualified to complete it.
The mobile app development RFP requires applicants to respect your terms: requirements regarding qualifications and experience, time frame and budget. This approach helps you sort out incoming applications more efficiently. Ultimately, you will select the candidate who matches all your criteria and start your project.
Top Mobile App Development Companies To Trust in 2023
- Location: H 201, Sector 63 Rd, H Block, Sector 62, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301, Uttar Pradesh, 201301, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $500/hr
- Expertise: Responsive Website Design, Digital Marketing, Mobile App Development, eCommerce App Development…
Frantic Infotech is a leading web design company based in Noida, India. Established in 2016, they have grown to serve over 400 clients globally with expertise in custom website design.
The agency specializes in developing advanced web applications. Their team of experts uses the latest technologies to create high-quality web apps for businesses of all sizes, helping drive user engagement and increase ROI. Their customized solutions help maximize the power of conversions.
Their clients include Akam Software, DataTrained Education, SGS Global Services and Matronics India.
- Location: 223, 4th Floor, Gali Number: 3 Govindpuri, Landmark: Vijay Sales, New Delhi, 110019, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: Enterprise Mobile App Development.
Founded in 2018 and based in New Delhi, India, Yukti Digital is a young and upcoming marketing firm that strives to bring the best of both worlds—Digital Marketing and Offline Advertising.
With an effective blend of technology and performance marketing, Yukti Digital is geared up to provide a fantastic service for small to medium and bigger businesses.
Some of their most notable clients include Tatty Goose, ALLEN BATISTA TRAVEL, and Bosin & Sterb-Hygiene Supply. We are based out of New Delhi, India.
- Location: Swieradowska 77, Wroclaw, 50-559, Poland
- Average Hourly Rate: $45/hr
- Expertise: Product Design, Mobile App Development, Website Development, Software Development, IT Services, and IT outsourcing.
Applover is a full-stack digital agency based in Poland & founded in 2016. Its team of nearly 100 experts has developed over a whopping 180 projects thus far.
Applover has already made some serious waves in its relatively short lifespan, and was recognized by Deloitte as a Rising Star (Fast 50 Tech) in the CEE region in 2019, and 2020 it was distinguished in the main category of the FAST 50 ranking!
Working on the latest technologies for the most dynamic and recognizable start-ups on the domestic market and worldwide in Applovers’ DNA. And the company prides itself on adhering to industry best practice standards, using test-driven design and development processes, as well as agile methodology.
Applover's specialties include creating mobile and web applications, website development, and designing digital products; while their expertise lies in iOS, Android, Swift, Objective-C, Java, Kotlin, AngularJS, and Vue.js development.
- Location: Passeig de Gràcia 28, 4o, 08007 Barcelona
- Average Hourly Rate: $60/hr
- Expertise: eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Android App Development, iPhone App Development, Website Development, and Software Development.
Apiumhub is a web development agency based in Barcelona and offers well-rounded services in mobile app development, web development, software architecture, DevOps, and Product Ownership services.
Founded in 2014, Apiumhub has a wealth of experience in all things web development. With a talented team of developers to handle all your website needs, you simply cannot go wrong when opting for Apiumhub as your go-to agency.
Some of Apiumhub's clients include Nestle, Adidas, and Tous.
- Location: VT Road, Mansarovar, Jaipur, 302020, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $20/hr
- Expertise: eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Wearable App Development, Website Development, WordPress Development, and Node.js Development.
Helpful Insight is an internationally known web & mobile application development company based in India.
Established in 2016, it has years of experience in working with various international clients in building robust mobile applications & creating stellar websites from scratch. Helpful Insight is also an expert at revamping mobile applications or websites that will catch your customer’s attention.
Having developed products for numerous industries such as Tech, Sports, Real Estate, Education, and Social Media, some of Helpful Insight’s most prominent clients include ABN Tec, JXJ Technologies Corp, and Beautify (UAE).
- Location: 4390 US-1, Suite 110, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: Web Design, Mobile App Development, Website Development, and Software Development.
NewAgeSMB is a full-stack iOS, Android, and web development company that was established in 1994.
With more than 28 years of experience in the mobile app development industry, NewAgeSMB’s team of mobile strategists, UI/UX designers, and app developers have helped clients reach and exceed their business goals.
NewAgeSMB’s client base is spread across the US, and the agency is proud to be able to offer its expertise in mobile app development to businesses of all sizes. Some of NewAgeSMB’s most notable clients include Comcast, GTS, Pfizer, and CPS.
- Location: 904, DUSSELDORF BUSINESS POINT, DUBAI UAE, Dubai, 122002, United Arab Emirates
- Average Hourly Rate: $50/hr
- Expertise: 360° Digital Services, Mobile App Development, eCommerce App Development, Android App Development, iPhone App Development, Windows App Development, HTML5 Mobile App Development, Educational App Development, Social Network App Development, Wearable App Development, and eCommerce Consulting.
Maven Digital is a full-service creative digital agency with a talent for designing, defining, and building successful digital campaigns and products. Its team of mobile app designers and developers, digital marketers, social media specialists, graphic designers, and quality assurance experts have decades of experience between them. They know exactly how to get the job done!
Founded in 2014 and based in Dubai, Maven Digital’s strict quality assurance in mobile app development and its willingness to go the extra mile to satisfy its clients sets it apart from the competition.
Some of Maven Digital’s clients include Delila Rayyam and Bahria Town.
- Location: Anantha Arcade, Airport Road Kavoor, Mangalore, 575015, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $50/hr
- Expertise: Mobile App Development, Website Development, Ruby on Rails, Software Development, Node.js Development, React Native, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
Mindstack is a young and ambitious software development company, founded in 2015 in the beautiful country of India. Its team consists of experienced developers who share a common love for coding and understand the importance of having a strong online presence in today's digital world.
Mindstack focuses on providing its clients with quick turnaround times and an overall smooth experience, while always delivering stellar projects on time, every time. With an arsenal of open-source tools at its disposal, Mindstack is confident in its ability to take on any challenge and get the job done right.
Some of the Mindstack clients include Edelweiss, Capizal FInserve, and Obopay.
- Location: E-15, 1st Floor, Yadupati Bastion, Opposite Asopa Hospital, Ajmer Road Jaipur
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire.
- Expertise: Web Development, Fantasy Sports Development, e-Commerce Development, Classified Website Development, Mobile App Development, Doctor Appointment App Development, and Taxi App Development.
Synarion IT Solutions is a club of IT professionals that are glam and unique. Each member of the group has talents and skills that they bring to the table.
Clients can count on Synarion IT Solutions for services such as web development, eCommerce development, app development, and testing. Synarion IT Solutions are always looking for new ways to challenge itself and push the envelope. Its goal is to use its innovative thinking and creativity to make a better world for everyone.
Some of Synarion IT Solutions’ clients include THUNDER11, SPORTASY, and Sound Buzzs.
- Location: Put Mladih Muslimana br 2, Sarajevo, 71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Average Hourly Rate: $50/hr
- Expertise: Mobile App Development, Software Development, and Machine Learning.
Tech387 is a technology company that strives for greatness. Its passion lies in supporting its partners on their road to success.
With transparency and honesty, it offers its clients the finest and most innovative technologies. Tech387 believes in open communication and giving everyone a chance to contribute to achieving their goals.
Tech387’s services include Mobile App Development, Software Development, and Machine Learning; and you can see more of the agency’s work at Huawei, Samsun, GoClou, and Volkswagen Group.
11. COAX Software
- Location: 401 S Milwaukee Ave Suite 160, Wheeling, Chicago, Illinois 60090, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $40/hr
- Expertise: Product Design, Web Design, eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Website Development, UI/UX Design, Software Development, and AWS.
COAX is a software development company that has been helping businesses transform their operations for the better since 2010.
Based in Chicago, Illinois, COAX offers services such as product design, web design, eCommerce development, mobile app development, Website Development, UI/UX Design, Software Development, and AWS.
With experience in a variety of industries such as Retail, Travel, Finance, Construction, Automotive and Legal—COAX is your go-to choice for all your software development needs. Some of COAX’s clients include Alertpoint, Site Survey, SmartBat, and Taxod.
12. FuseLab Creative
- Location: 1751 Pinnacle Dr., Suite 600 #7, McLean, Virginia 22102, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $70
- Expertise: Enterprise Software Development, iPhone App Development, iPhone App Development, Android App Development...
FuseLab Creative is an Intelligent Interface Design Agency — they produce Dashboards, Software Interface, Web Apps and Multi-User Platforms.
They are an UI/UX design agency serving MD, VA, and DC. Specialized in web app, dashboard platform designs, and user interface design.
13. iTechnolabs Inc
- Location: 7030 Woodbine Avenue suite 500 Markham, Ontario, L3R 6G2, Canada
- Average Hourly Rate: $18
- Expertise: Mobile App Development, Blockchain Development, NetSuite Consulting, ERP Consulting...
iTechnolabs Inc is certified Software Development Organization equipped with the latest technologies and a team of veteran professionals providing top of a range of complete IT services.
Their powerful app creation & Website building platform empower 500+ live apps, enabling them to reach more than 50,000 end users all over the world. They focus on world-class design and build tech-enabled solutions, which help them deliver high-quality user experience and UX and UI designs.
- Location: Ground Floor, Tower A, Stellar IT Park, Sector - 62, Noida, Noida, 201309, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: eCommerce Development, eCommerce Web Design, Mobile App Development, Website Development, and UI/UX Design.
iWebServices, based in Noida, India, is a technology solutions provider that was founded in 2011 and offers services such as eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Website Development, and UI/UX Design.
They've assembled a 100+ strong team of skilled personnel to ensure that each project is completed with efficiency and quality. iWebServices has established a global presence after completing projects for clients such as AirTel, SnagPad, Nike, and Hero—having developed 1500+ projects to date with 1300+ global happy customers.
With iWebServices's expertise, it's never been easier for businesses to gain the edge they need to remain competitive in the ever-changing digital world.
- Location: 204, Harsha Complex, F-17, Subhash Chowk, Laxmi Nagar, Delhi-110092, Delhi, 110092, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $30/hr
- Expertise: Mobile App Development, Website Development, Software Development, and IT Services.
Winklix is a Delhi, India-based company that was founded in 2014 and specializes in providing a comprehensive suite of services from mobile app development to website design and software development.
Winklix houses an experienced and dedicated team of top specialists in their fields with over 15 years of combined expertise. Winklix does not just provide services, but listens to their customer’s specific needs for the most suitable solution for their goals; whether it be for greater agility, competitiveness, or profitability.
Among Winklix's distinguished clients are BPTP, Gaadiweb, and ParrotInnovation, who've all come to trust Winklix's creative mobile app development, website building abilities, skilled software development services, and overall IT service.
- Location: No13 Daniel Amokachi Street, 69 Road Behind Cocin Church, Abuja, 900108, Nigeria
- Average Hourly Rate: $30/hr
- Expertise: Web Design, Mobile App Development, Nonprofit App Development, Startup App Development, Flutter, Google App Engine Development, Python Django, and React Native.
TechVantage is changing the tech landscape in Abuja, Nigeria. Established in 2019, TechVantage combines cutting-edge technologies with a commitment to service quality to help businesses stay at the top of their game.
Delivering solutions ranging from Mobile App Development and Website Development to Google App Engine Development, TechVantage is powering Fortune 500 companies and its growing roster of startups from the ground up.
It continues to innovate, supporting some of the leading names like Tybitx, Joke Silva, and Hapicom Books with world-class development services such as Startup App Development and Flutter. TechVantage makes it possible for businesses in Abuja, Nigeria to keep chasing digital evolution.
- Location: 3423 Piedmont Rd NE, STE 320, Atlanta, Georgia 30305, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: Responsive Website Design, Mobile App Development, Android App Development, iPhone App Development, Website Development, Drupal Development, UI/UX Design, Software Development, and AWS.
AppZoro Technologies, based in Atlanta, Georgia, and founded in 2016, has established itself as a top-tier mobile application development agency.
AppZoro specializes in UI/UX design, Android and iOS App development, custom software solutions, and websites. By providing services such as hybrid app development, startup consulting, and IoT services, AppZoro can convert your ideas into digital applications.
AppZoro is heavily invested in Mobile App Development and Drupal Development while also pushing creative initiatives in Responsive Website Design and AWS technology. AppZoro's portfolio of quality work extends to clients such as Fitness Bank, Truck Your Way, ImSafeNow and Guardian, among other projects.
- Location: KAZIMDIRIK MAH. 296 SK. NO.8 IC KAPI NO.801 BORNOVA / IZMIR 35100, Izmir, 35100, Turkey
- Average Hourly Rate: $40/hr
- Expertise: Mobile App Development, Android App Development, UI/UX Design, Software Development, and AWS.
DIGIEGGS is a Turkish software and consultancy company with its headquarters based in Izmir.
Since its founding in 2014, DIGIEGGS has leveraged its expertise in software development, mobile app development, and UI/UX design to deliver comprehensive projects to clients such as Qubit, Yasar, and Karshare.
DIGIEGGS not only created an application used by people around the world, called Logg personal journal but they were also able to create the first cloud-architecture CRM project in Turkey called Cosmegg.
DIGIEGGS are committed to staying at the forefront of software trends to provide exceptional service for their customers. DIGIEGGS continues to be a leader in software design and development for businesses looking for managed IT services.
- Location: 700 N Hurstbourne Pkwy #120, Louisville, Kentucky 40222, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $149/hr
- Expertise: Web Design, Mobile App Development, Website Development, UI/UX Design, Software Development, Enterprise Software Development, IT Services, and AWS.
Slingshot is an innovative software and app development firm based in Louisville, Kentucky since its founding in 2005.
Slingshot is a web design company that offers a unique combination of strategic planning, design, and development that create effective solutions for the consumer lasting at all levels. Slingshot is invested in forming prolonged relationships that are meant to build trust and guarantee progress from start to finish.
Slingshot has provided services for esteemed clients such as the University of Louisville, Lurie's Children's Hospital, the American Press Institute, and the Louisville Government.
Specializing in web design and mobile app development Slingshot is dedicated to making sure your idea comes to life as seamlessly as possible with communication being at the heart of its mission.
Find a Mobile App Development Company That Suits Your Needs
Developing a mobile app can help your company attract thousands of new clients and ensure its continued growth and business success.
However, you will only be able to take advantage of the benefits mentioned above if you team up with the right mobile app development company that keeps up with industry trends and employs qualified personnel who can bring your idea to life.
Take the time to interview the best job candidates and follow the seven steps we've suggested in this article — it's the best way to find the best match to fulfill your business goals.