With so many PR agencies in business, it takes a lot of skill and experience to stand out. Top public relations agencies seek to differentiate themselves from the competition by emphasizing a set of key strengths.
Key differentiating factors, and the questions you should be asking to get to the bottom of each one include:
● Relationship experts - How does the agency maintain good working relationships with their clients? What contacts do they have access to in the media?
● Industry experience - Does the agency have experience working with clients in your industry? Do they have an understanding of the challenges you face as well as the best approach to publicity for a brand in your space?
● Storytelling ability - Can the agency tell an evocative and memorable story about your brand? Will they be able to convincingly pitch stories on your behalf?
● Accolades - Has the agency won awards and honors that recognize their expertise in the industry? Are they respected by their peers, and do they contribute meaningfully to conversations about topics related to their field?
● Calm in a crisis - Will the agency be just as effective in times of crisis as they are in times when everything is going well? What is their approach to handling bad press and negative attention?
● Integrated approach - Does the agency cover all the PR bases, including both digital and offline channels? Will they be able to work effectively with other marketing teams?