Using Design to help Smithsonian Improve its App Rating
To bring the Smithsonian Channel’s existing Android app up to par with its award-winning, highly rated iOS apps, Potion, an interaction design and technology agency, approached Big Nerd Ranch about a partnership to redevelop the app from scratch.
Big Nerd Ranch's design and development teams worked closely with Potion to deliver an app that adheres to Android best practices and delivered on the client’s needs by:
- Creating a custom “quick pick” feature that enhanced video discovery
- Leveraging third-party tools to develop at a smooth pace
- Increasing engagement through design updates, additional features and improved performance
Big Nerd Ranch's team then went to work on additional capabilities including:
- Delivering a modern user experience that adheres to Android platform best practices and user expectations
- Developing splash screens, video loading, A-Z fast scrolling and featured playlists
- Creating interstitial animations to provide a transition between videos that ties back to the television experience.
By working collaboratively with Potion and our Android and Design teams, Big Nerd Ranch delivered an app that incorporates best-in-class Android development and UX standards. We added new, unique features such as Chromecast integration and social sharing functionality, helping to improve content discoverability and increase content consumption.
The app’s look and feel resonates with the Smithsonian Channel’s brand and ties to the iOS app while delivering the experience and look that Android users expect.
- App rating improved from 4.0 to 4.3
- Active devices increased 43%
- The number of total downloads increased 29%
Quality app! This is an example as to how other channels should build their apps. I've deleted all the others due to low overall app quality - but Smithsonian stays.
- Google Play Store review
Aaron wrote the book widely regarded to be the bible of Mac development: Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. This guide is now in its fourth edition and has been translated into French, German, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. He's worked alongside Steve Jobs while at Apple and made several accomplishments