As many business owners will (grudgingly) testify, generating leads or growing eCommerce revenue is easier said than done.
With so many applications, tools and platforms at your disposal, finding one that will actually be good enough to support your eCommerce business can be notoriously difficult.
But don’t panic. Help is on the way in the form of these best eCommerce software systems!
Table of Contents
- 1. Shopify Is The Most Popular eCommerce Software Solution In The World
- 2. WooCommerce Is A Free eCommerce Software Solution
- 3. Bigcommerce Is An eCommerce Platform Favoured By Small Businesses
- 4. Magento Is The Best eCommerce Solution For Enterprises
- 5. Elementor Is A Great Way To Create WordPress-Based Online Stores Without Having To Code
- 6. Volusion Is One Of The Most Cost-Effective eCommerce Software Solutions
- 7. 3dcart Is One Of The Oldest Existing eCommerce Platforms
- 8. Wix Is The Only eCommerce Solution That Allows Non-Designers To Design The Perfect Store
- 9. PrestaShop Is the Best Open-Source Solution for Beginners
- 10. Squarespace Is the Best Website Builder With eCommerce Features
- Takeaways on the Best eCommerce Software Systems
- eCommerce Software FAQ
1. Shopify Is The Most Popular eCommerce Software Solution In The World
When talking about online sales, there is just no way that Shopify doesn’t immediately spring to your mind as a solution. As far as eCommerce software platforms go, this one is synonymous with them and for a very good reason.
A big part of Shopify’s popularity comes from the fact that creating an online store with it is a very easy process and should take you no more than 15 minutes to complete. This platform powers more than 1,000,000 brands worldwide.
All you need to do is follow a few simple steps:
- Go to Shopify and sign up by clicking the Get Started button and filling in your email address, password and store name.
- Tell a little about yourself, such as are you already selling and how much do you plan to sell
- Choose the type of store you want to own. You can choose between a brick-and-mortar and an online one
- Start adding products to your new online store. Fill in the title, vendor, price and description and save the product.
- Customize the look of your site. Your visitors are not likely to buy anything from you if your store looks dreadful or if they are trouble navigating to where they need to go (which is most likely the shopping cart). To give them the site they want, go to the dashboard and click Customize the Look of Your Site button. From here, you can select your theme, fonts, colors and much more.
- Once you are fairly satisfied with how your new site looks, it’s time to open the doors! Remember, people can’t actually visit your store unless you have a domain for it. Otherwise, it’s worthless. So click the Add a Domain button in the dashboard. Once that ‘s activated, you’ll be able to see your website live.
- And finally, you should add a payment processor. You can choose between PayPal, Stripe, Amazon Pay, Google Pay, Apple Pay, or Shopify’s own payment system. You can even choose to accept cryptocurrencies.
So why should you choose Shopify to be your B2B eCommerce software? Well, besides the ease with which you can set up shop and the popularity, this platform also offers a variety of tools for businesses to help them sell their products, such as branding and order management, powerful analytics and many more features at your disposal.
All of this will cost the prospective online store owner $29 per month for the Basic Shopify, $79/m for “regular” Shopify and $229/m for Advanced Shopify (which obviously has a lot more useful features).
And, if you think you’ve outgrown the regular Shopify setup, there’s also Shopify Plus for enterprise eCommerce merchants. This platform comes with dedicated account management and some extra features like customized checkout among the rest.
Pricing for Shopify Plus depends on the design, customization, order size and a few other things, but it should be a well-worth investment for a large-scale business that needs something more from its eCommerce software platform.
2. WooCommerce Is A Free eCommerce Software Solution
Most of the platforms for eCommerce on our list will cost you some money, but WooCommerce is a free plugin that will allow you to turn an ordinary WordPress site into a prosperous online store. Of course, as with any other plugin, you can only do this with the .org version of your WordPress, not the .com one.
WooCommerce is an excellent eCommerce software solution for a smaller eCommerce merchant and provides its own shopping cart and payment processor, but as you scale the business upwards and grow your store with more products and customers, you should probably look toward a more robust platform.
Pricing: WooCommerce is free, but you will have to pay additionally for things like domain name and hosting.
3. Bigcommerce Is An eCommerce Platform Favoured By Small Businesses
In case you want a multi-channel software and are for some reason not very keen on Shopify, then Bigcommerce can be a very good alternative.
This platform comes with a full content management system (CMS), which will help you not only run an online store, but also an entire website.
Also, creating the best-looking and user-friendly store possible is very easy with Bigcommerce as it offers a wide range of themes and templates you can choose from. Plus, if you ever run into a problem, Bigcommerce is right there to help you via email, phone or instant chat and there are also a ton of free videos and articles explaining the nitty-gritty of its many features.
Bigcommerce also adds new features constantly, so you can, for instance, use automated order processing, accept payment with one of more than 40 gateways or customize your shipping details the way it best suits your business.
Plus, it also integrates with MailChimp and Google Shopping.
You can try Bigcommerce for free for 15 days and if you like it, the Standard is $29.95/m, Plus is $79.95 and Pro is $249.95/m.
4. Magento Is The Best eCommerce Solution For Enterprises
Magento is an open-source enterprise and B2B eCommerce software that might require some help from a dedicated software development company to set up at first.
However, with that out of the way, you will be greeted with plenty of useful features that Magento has to offer to an eCommerce business, including recurring payment support, unlimited product listing, customer service and accounts, order management, marketing promotion tools, analytics and reporting tools and much more.
All in all, Magento development is a great choice for enterprise and large-scale businesses, but the high price and the barrier to entry don’t make it well-suited for smaller eCommerce businesses. In that case, it is probably better to go with something like Bigcommerce or Shopify or some other eCommerce software platform that we mentioned here.
As for the pricing, Magento Open Source is free to download and is probably where someone with a small business will start. The license for Magento Commerce starts at $22,000 per year and goes up to $19,000/y, depending on your average gross sales revenue and if you have cloud version enabled.
5. Elementor Is A Great Way To Create WordPress-Based Online Stores Without Having To Code
Elementor is a WordPress website builder that helps its users create WordPress websites when they lack technical and coding chops.
Elementor can also be used to create WordPress-based online stores (i.e WooCommerce websites) without having to code
Like with other platforms on this list, Elementor uses a drag-and-drop editor, making it much easier to master and much smoother to operate than a lot of other tools out there.
You can choose from its 20 unique eCommerce widgets to build the store you’ve always wanted. A cool feature, unique to Elementor, is Full Site Kits: ready-made websites you can lightly customize and immediately get going with.
Of course, there are a number of Kits designed specifically for eCommerce sites, and since the yearly subscription plans start at US$49 per year, it is easily one of the most affordable solutions in this niche.
6. Volusion Is One Of The Most Cost-Effective eCommerce Software Solutions
For a platform that has been around since 1999, Volusion doesn’t get the credit and mention that it truly deserves.
What Volusion offers is a whole suite of powerful product management, order management, payment processing and marketing tools, in addition to a wide range of templates that you can customize to your business’s needs.
Also, if you need some help with design, the platform provides a design service of its own to help you incorporate your company’s branding and social media,
Finally, Volusion also offers many other features including integration for dropshipping, CRM, a barcode manager (which is a must-have for any eCommerce inventory management software), PCI-certified checkout, ROI tracking and more.
When it comes to price, Volusion is on par with some of the other platforms we mentioned already, like Shopify. It costs $29/m for Personal, $79/m for Pro and $299/m for the Business version and you can also use a free 14-day trial to see if it is for you.
7. 3dcart Is One Of The Oldest Existing eCommerce Platforms
3dcart operates on six core values:
- Ongoing innovation
- Good service
- Simple solutions
- Fostering trust
- Keeping employees and customers happy and,
- Stimulating prosperity among employees and customers
And it’s been doing this since 1997, making it one of the oldest existing platforms for eCommerce.
You can easily create an online store using some of the templates that 3dcart offers, change the store’s design with an easy-to-use edit bar, or use some of the platform’s many useful features. All of this can help you tailor your store to your company’s needs.
Furthermore, 3dcart also offers a range of other professional services, including shopping feed management, search engine optimization (SEO), Facebook ads consulting, social media, data migration, custom tracking and training, just to name a few.
Add to that the fact that you can easily set up affiliate marketing, send newsletters to your customers, run a loyalty program, install a purchase order system and much more and 3dcart becomes a very convenient and useful solution for all your eCommerce software needs.
Similar to some other eCommerce shipping software we mentioned here, 3dcart pricing starts at $29 per month for the Basic version, followed by Plus for $79/m and Pro at $229/m.
8. Wix Is The Only eCommerce Solution That Allows Non-Designers To Design The Perfect Store
Don’t let the simplicity and ease-of-use of Wix fool you into thinking it is anything else but website builder. Especially for small online businesses.
With Wix, you are getting access to more than 500 templates that you can use to create your online store. Of course, being very user-friendly also helps.
The only downside to Wix is that it is not a multi-channel software and is not that well suited for large businesses. Still, for smaller online businesses, this platform is a more than worthy choice.
Pricing for Wix starts at $23/m for Basic, $27 for Unlimited and $49 per month for VIP.
9. PrestaShop Is the Best Open-Source Solution for Beginners
PrestaShop is among the best tools to grow an eCommerce business. This popular open-source eCommerce software solution helps individuals and companies create and manage online stores.
Some of PrestaShop's primary features include:
- Product Management - PrestaShop makes creating and managing product listings with images, descriptions, prices and inventory levels easy.
- Payment Integration - PrestaShop allows you to integrate various payment options, including PayPal, credit cards and other popular payment gateways.
- Shipping - PrestaShop has an inbuilt shipping feature that allows you to set up shipping methods and rates.
- Order Management - You can view and manage customer orders, process payments and handle shipping and delivery from within the platform.
- Customization - PrestaShop offers numerous customization options, including various themes and plugins, enabling you to tailor your online store to your needs.
PrestaShop is free to download, install and use, which makes it an accessible option for small businesses and individuals. Platform's user-friendly interface and intuitive features make it easy to set up and manage an online store without any technical skills.
Designed to be SEO-friendly, which is important for your rankings on search engines, this eCommerce tool will help you drive traffic, generate leads and increase sales. Another benefit is an active community of developers and users who contribute to the platform's development, providing support and assistance.
As we mentioned, PrestaShop is among the most user-friendly eCommerce tools. Download and install the software; after installation, set up your online store by adding products, setting up payment and shipping methods, and customizing your store design. Once your store is set up, you can launch it and sell your products.
10. Squarespace Is the Best Website Builder With eCommerce Features
Squarespace is a website builder with a drag-and-drop interface, similar to Wix. While it does offer eCommerce features, it was not initially designed as an eCommerce platform like Shopify.
As a result, it may need more of the features and tools that eCommerce-focused software provides, such as more extensive payment integrations beyond its two offerings.
If you decide to use Squarespace for your eCommerce store, you should be prepared to dedicate considerable time to setting up and customizing the site to meet your needs. Alternatively, consider outsourcing the design and development to professionals if you have the budget for it.
Despite these limitations, Squarespace does offer some useful eCommerce features. For example, it provides inventory tracking capabilities, and you can upgrade your plan to sell gift cards and subscription-based products.
While Squarespace may not offer the same level of eCommerce functionality as specialized software, it is still a solid option for small to mid-sized businesses that want a user-friendly website builder with eCommerce capabilities.
- Squarespace price varies depending on the plan you choose.
- The Personal plan costs $12 monthly if paid annually. The monthly plan costs $16.
- The Business plan is $18 monthly if paid annually. The monthly plan costs $26.
- The Basic Commerce plan is $35, or $26 if paid annually.
- The Advanced Commerce plan is $54 per month or $40 if paid annually.
- There is also an Enterprise pricing option available.
Takeaways on the Best eCommerce Software Systems
The global eCommerce market is a huge deal and the United States is not even at the top as the largest eCommerce country in the world, despite having such giants as Amazon and eBay.
Here are the top 5 eCommerce countries in the world with their respective annual online sales and the total share in retail from eCommerce.
- China – annual online sales: $2.78 trillion, eCommerce share of total retail sales: 52%
- United States – annual online sales: $843 billion, total retail sales share: 19%
- United Kingdom – annual online sales: $169 billion, eCommerce retail share: 4.8%
- Japan – annual online sales: $144 billion, eCommerce retail share: 3%
- South Korea – annual online sales: $120 billion, eCommerce total retail share: 2.5%.
These stats indicate what a colossal deal eCommerce has become in the last couple of years and why you should pay attention to it.
Hopefully, these ten best platforms we outlined here will help your business achieve the success that you are aiming for.
Of course, if you want your business to start on the right foot, you will need all the help you can get. Look at some of these best eCommerce software development companies and select the one that best suits your business requirements.
eCommerce Software FAQ
1. What Is eCommerce software?
ECommerce software is a computer program or platform that enables businesses to sell their products or services online.
eCommerce software simplifies the online selling process, from creating inventory to concrete sales; that way, it helps businesses reach a wider audience, increase their revenue and stay competitive in the ever-evolving and crowded online marketplace.
eCommerce software typically includes features such as a shopping cart, payment processing, inventory management, order tracking and customer management. Some platforms include marketing and promotional tools, such as email marketing, social media integration and search engine optimization (SEO) tools.
2. What are some important features you should look for in eCommerce tools?
Some of the most important eCommerce features are:
- Responsive design - The website must adjust and work seamlessly on different devices for a satisfying user experience.
- User-friendly navigation - The website should have an easy-to-use menu and buttons that facilitate the user's journey and help them find what they need.
- Site search - The website must include a search function to help users find specific information.
- Social media integration - The website should integrate with social media platforms.
- Multiple Payment Options - The website must offer various payment methods.
- Customer support or chatbots - The website offers customer support, including chatbots, to assist with inquiries.
- FAQ section - The website should have a section with frequently asked questions and answers, which reduces the need for customer service.
- Order tracking - The website allows users to track the status of their order.
- Exchange and return Information - The website should provide information about exchange and return policies.
3. What is the key function of eCommerce software?
The key function of every eCommerce software is enabling businesses to sell their products or services online. It allows businesses to create an online store, manage their inventory, process payments and fulfill orders. This software also provides marketing tools, data analysis and customer support to assist businesses in running their online stores successfully.