In this guide, we’ll explore 12 ways to use marketing tactics to expand your sphere of influence as a lawyer and a businessperson.
Discover expert attorney marketing tips on improving your law firm’s visibility, increasing its online presence, and building brand recognition to grow your practice while staying authentic.
Table of Contents
- Know Your Clients
- Know Your Competitors
- Build Your Brand
- Start a Business Newsletter
- Create Educational Content and Promote it on the Right Platform
- Use LinkedIn
- Invest in SEO
- Claim Your Business on Google and Prioritize Positive Reviews
- Engage with Your Online Community
- Connect with Referrals
- Use Targeted Advertising
- Turn Leads into Potential Cases
- Top Digital Marketing Agencies for Law Firms
- Attorney Marketing Tips: Final Thoughts
- Attorney Marketing FAQs
1. Know Your Clients
First, you’ll want to know the type of clients you have.
- Are they business owners?
- Are they professionals?
- Are they emerging entrepreneurs?
- What is their legal need?
- Is it transactional?
- Is it contract-based?
- Is it litigation?
- Do you specialize in one area of the law or offer a broad range of services?
Understanding your client’s needs and problems is the first step in creating helpful, compelling attorney marketing tips. You can then articulate how you plan to help them solve their problem.
After all, your clients are your brand ambassadors. And it would help if you took the time to get to know their needs and challenges so that you can provide them with the solution they need.
2. Know Your Competitors
Next, you’ll want to know about your competitors.
- What do they do well?
- What opportunities do they miss?
- What are their weaknesses?
The more you can understand your competitors, the better you’ll be able to market yourself as a better solution to the client’s problem.
- What keywords are they ranking for in Google?
- What type of content do they create and promote?
- How are they positioning themselves in the marketplace?
- Do they have a solid online presence?
Learning more about the strengths and weaknesses of your competitors will help you create better attorney marketing tips that will put your law firm at the top of the game.
Most people seek a solution to their problem and want to find it quickly.
If your law firm is competing for those clients against other law firms that are doing a better job at reaching those same clients, you’ll lose out.
3. Build Your Brand
You must take the time to define your brand and find a way to position yourself as a thought leader in your field.
- What is your unique selling proposition (USP)?
- What makes your law firm unique?
- What are you known for?
- How do you want to be perceived in the marketplace?
- What is your promise to the client?
- What is the one thing that your law firm does better than anyone else?
To build a strong brand and powerful attorney marketing tips, you must first understand what makes your law firm unique.
It could be your approach, your style, your expertise, or the results that you achieve for your clients.
However you do it, you must find a way to differentiate yourself from other law firms.
4. Start a Business Newsletter
A business newsletter is a valuable tool for engaging with your clients.
Newsletters often include:
- A welcome message
- An update on recent projects
- A challenge or question
- A call to action
Newsletters let you promote new services, highlight special offers like discounts on services, or announce free consultations.
- What topics should you cover in your business newsletter?
- How often should you send your newsletter?
Your topics can vary depending on your industry. However, most newsletters have the same essential components.
Business newsletters provide a valuable service to your clients and build relationships and trust, positioning you as a thought leader. Ultimately, they can increase your law firm's SEO ranking.
Use it to market your law firm and stay on top of mind with your audience while providing valuable content they can use.
5. Create Educational Content and Promote it on the Right Platform
Creating educational content is another excellent way to get your name out there, build trust with your clients, and position yourself as a thought leader.
You can cover a wide range of topics, but be careful not to get too general. Topics should be specific enough to make your content valuable to your readers.
You might cover entrepreneurs' strategies to raise capital or how businesses can protect themselves from cyber threats.
The best way to promote your content is to create it in various formats. The more types of content you produce, the more places you can post it, and the more people will be exposed to your work.
If you're creating an article on how to get a divorce in Florida, for instance, consider making a video version or a blog, then publish them on social media.
Each platform offers its unique benefits. While Facebook allows users access only through the app, Twitter offers multiple ways for viewers to engage with your video by replying or retweeting.
6. Use LinkedIn
LinkedIn can be an excellent platform for law firms, providing a space for lawyers to network and make connections.
Below are some essential LinkedIn strategies that lawyers should use:
- Post more about the firm's philosophy and tips for success.
- Link each post to your main site so viewers can find more information, watch a video, or get a downloadable report.
- Tag company leaders and include their profile pictures on posts to boost engagement and visibility.
- Share a link from one of your blog posts daily, so readers know you're still around, commenting, and posting new content worth their time. - Maintain a professional tone and avoid sounding like an advertisement. Instead, think of it as providing valuable insight into how they might be able to market themselves better.
- Add relevant keywords (i.e., lawyer or attorney) when describing yourself and your services in an update box on your LinkedIn page. Include the area of law you practice in your headline, too.
- Engage with other attorneys both inside and outside of your network by asking questions via LinkedIn InMail, updating them on articles they'll find useful or helpful based on their interests, and thanking them publicly for mentioning your firm somewhere online.
- Schedule an event on your LinkedIn homepage to remind users that something is going on at the law firm, even if it's just a single speaker appearing at a conference. Keep in mind that some people use LinkedIn as much for keeping up-to-date with industry news as they do when finding new clients.
7. Invest in SEO
SEO can help you attract more clients and stay competitive; on top of that, it's usually affordable.
The best way to optimize your website for SEO is to hire a professional or an agency that can implement a robust SEO strategy.
They can create a plan for what content you should publish, where you should publish it, and how often you should publish it.
They can also search for keywords you should target and how to get those keywords to rank in Google.
What can you do to increase your website's SEO? First, you want to ensure that your website has a clean design and loads quickly.
Next, you want to make sure that it is easy to navigate. You also want to ensure that it is designed for humans and Google.
- Include your keywords. Make sure your website has the right keywords so that Google knows what your site is about.
- Create quality content. Google prefers websites with unique, quality content. To rank your website, you'll need to create great content people want to read.
8. Claim Your Business on Google and Prioritize Positive Reviews
You want to make sure that your business is claimed correctly on Google. You can do this by signing into your Google My Business account and by verifying your business address.
You can also claim your Yelp page and your Bing profile. You'll want to fill out all the information correctly, including your law firm's hours of operation, address, and phone number. Once you've verified your business location, you can claim your law firm on Google.
It will allow you to create a particular landing page that will show up when people search for your name. This one's an excellent way to direct clients straight to your website.
Once you've claimed your business on Google, you can then start working on optimizing your business listing.
How do you do that? There are a few things you can do.
- Post great photos. One of the best ways to increase the likelihood of a positive review is to publish high-quality images. You want your photos to look professional and to show potential clients what your law firm is like.
- Ask for reviews. Once you have happy clients, you want to make sure they leave a review. You can do this by including a sign-off that asks your clients to leave a review.
- Reply to negative reviews. If you get a negative review, make sure that you reply to it. You don't have to argue with the reviewer. All you have to do is say "thank you" and "we appreciate your feedback."
9. Engage with Your Online Community
You want to make sure that you are engaging with your online community.
Engaging with your online audience can be a powerful tool for growing your law firm. By putting yourself out there, you will establish a presence on all major social media platforms and open yourself up to the possibility of reaching new clients.
- Which communities are you a part of?
- What are you doing to increase your visibility within those communities?
- What types of content should you be sharing?
Join groups related to your practice area or industry. Consider looking for local groups where you live and engage with members by answering questions, sharing content, and getting involved in conversations.
And then share industry-related news, insights, and helpful tips. Keep up with your blog posts and share them across your social media channels.
10. Connect with Referrals
One of the most valuable ways to grow your law firm is by connecting with referrals.
Referrals are a lawyer's best friend. Most clients come in through referrals, and building your client base can be challenging when you're starting.
Many lawyers rely on word-of-mouth advertising for new business, but this can only get you so far.
Asking for referrals is integral to growing your law practice because it can open doors to new clients that may not have been available otherwise.
It shows others that you seek work and can go above and beyond for those who trust your abilities as a lawyer.
11. Use Targeted Advertising
As a lawyer, you likely understand the importance of word-of-mouth marketing.
You want your clients to speak highly of your firm and refer their friends, family, and colleagues to you. But how can you get the word out in today’s social media world?
There are several ways that lawyers can use targeted advertising on Facebook and Google Ads.
Create a landing page for each ad campaign - Create a new webpage with unique content on it for each ad campaign that is created. Each landing page should include the same information as other pages on your website but also contain a call-to-action at the end asking users if they would like more information about hiring lawyers.
Test different types of ads - When testing other ads, they should not overlap, so only one type runs at any given time. It could lead to confusion among visitors who may think there are multiple firms behind them when only one exists!
Use targeting options wisely - When targeting audiences, use demographics such as age groups, gender, and interests.
12. Turn Leads into Potential Cases
Once you have these marketing tips for attorneys in place, your law firm is on its way to generating leads.
Your leads are potential clients. To avoid these mistakes, manage your leads by using a CRM system.
The next step in this process is using the lead information and turning it into potential cases. If they are not a possible case, there are ways that the law firm can make them one.
For example, if someone had an accident and needed help with medical bills or lost their home to foreclosure and could use legal assistance with bankruptcy, it's time for your attorney.
By utilizing all the marketing tips above, your lawyer can reach out to more potential clients and turn those leads into cases.
Top Digital Marketing Agencies for Law Firms
- Location: A19 1st floor sector 7 Dwarka, New Delhi, 110075, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $20/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, Social Media Marketing, SEO, PPC, Web Design...
Established in 2013, Touchstone Infotech is a one-stop technology hub based in India that caters to the US, Canada, and Australia. The agency has a wide range of solutions in digital marketing, SEO, and web development.
Touchstone Infotech helps businesses meet customer expectations and gain a competitive edge with digital solutions that have a faster time to market. Law firms can benefit from their local SEO, content marketing, Google My Business, and reputation management, among others.
Their clients are scattered across other industries, such as tourism, hospitality, health, and education.
- Location: J-7/16, 1st Floor, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi, 110027, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $500/hr
- Expertise: Content Marketing
Digital Marketing With Ajay is a creative digital company enabling brands to unlock their full marketing capacity. They specialize in SEO and content marketing that ensures greater traffic and conversion for businesses.
As a digital-oriented agency, they help craft digital products from ideation to marketing and testing. Their expertise in content and social media marketing will have you welcoming more clients through your door.
Apart from digital marketing, the agency also offers development and eCommerce solutions.
- Location: 5830 Granite Pkwy, Suite #100-360, Plano, Texas 75024, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $35/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, Public Relations, SEO, Social Media Marketing
True to its name, Digital Success is all about tactics that work. This multi-disciplinary digital marketing agency unleashes the power of creativity and automation to help businesses grow fast.
They have specially tailored solutions for law firms to boost awareness, lead generation, conversion, and revenue. These include local SEO, PPC, and remarketing for lawyers. The numbers speak for themselves — they've delivered a 500% traffic increase and $4 million worth of opportunities.
Digital Success has worked with attorneys in various practices, from business to family, healthcare, and immigration.
- Location: Mahendru, Ashok Rajpath, Patna, 800006, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $50/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing
From SEO and social media marketing to software and web development, Digital Cogency is a one-stop shop for all your digital marketing needs. The agency prides itself on its technical expertise and high-ROI techniques.
Their team is composed of experts in their respective fields, whose focus is to deliver tangible results and bring more customers to their clients. They also provide 24/7 live support, which attests to their commitment to service quality.
Digital Cogency has worked with businesses in different industries, totting up almost 90 clients and 150 completed projects.
- Location: 7 Misty Lane, Cape Elizabeth, Portland, Maine 04107, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $85/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, SEO, Social Media Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Website Development…
Fisher Green Creative provides "big support for small businesses" — with comprehensive solutions at affordable rates that meet every client's unique needs. Whether budget, time or expertise is your concern, they can help.
The agency effectively combines SEO strategies with dynamic visuals and a cohesive brand blueprint to make your business stand out online. They can help boost your search engine ranking, increase your social media presence, and improve your overall marketing strategy.
Fisher Green Creative has worked with law firms, title companies, accountants, restaurants, small businesses, and more.
6. Ernst Media
- Location: 2522 N Proctor St STE 396, Tacoma, Washington 98406, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $95/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, Boutique Branding, PPC, Bing PPC, eCommerce PPC
A boutique digital marketing agency with over 15 years of experience, Ernst Media is a company of integrity, craftsmanship and collaboration. With these ideals in mind, they drive digital strategies with measurable results and top-quality support.
The agency specializes in paid and organic customer acquisition through PPC management, SEO services, and social media marketing. They craft PPC campaigns with much attention to detail according to your unique business needs.
Ernst Media’s clients include DAV Network, Wisdom Labs, DNSFilter, and Silvertrac Software.
- Location: 59 Damonte Ranch Pkwy. B-564, Reno, Nevada 89521, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $60/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, Search Engine Marketing, SEO, Video Production
Fire for Effect Marketing is a Nevada-based digital marketing agency focused on small to midsize businesses, providing marketing on the same level as corporations but at an affordable price.
For each business, they create a custom package of marketing campaigns unique to its needs. If you want to take a step further, their services include high-definition video production for web and social media, which can help engage more clients and drive conversion.
The agency's clients include Carson City Hyundai, Excimer Laser Repair Corp., Kieran Walsh Galleries, and Memory Spring.
- Location: 12042 Debonnaire Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63146, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $60/hr
- Expertise: 360° Digital Services, Web Design, Digital Marketing, SEO, Social Media Marketing.
If you’re looking for a marketing agency to handle all your digital advertising needs, look no further than Global SEO Services.
Offering everything from 360° Digital Services, SEO optimization, and social media management to link building, this Missouri-based agency takes care of everything while you focus on other, more important, business operations.
Some of Global SEO Services’ most notable clients include Shadow Company, Dark Site Operations, and Zen Combat; while their 8-years of experience lie in taking both small businesses' and large corporations’ online presence to the next level.
9. SBO Buzz
- Location: 1200 N Ashland Ave, Suite 203, Chicago, Illinois 60622, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $100/hr
- Expertise: Reputation Management, Social Media Marketing.
SBO Buzz is an expert in helping small businesses reach their online potential.
By offering services such as social media management and reputation management, SBO Buzz ensures that your digital footprint stays at the forefront of your target market’s minds while placing you right at the center of your industry.
First founded in 2012, SBO Buzz has raked up a healthy client base, which includes Spectacular Eyecare, Todays Dental of Illinois, The Endorphin Effect, and Gardi & Haught.
10. Positive Medium
- Location: 1307 Park Ave, Williamsport, PA 17701
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire.
- Expertise: Web Design, Managed Hosting, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Accessibility Compliance, Social Media Marketing, Content Writing, Google Workspace.
Positive Medium understands that having a robust online presence in today’s digital-centered world is one of the most important things you can do for your business.
Allow their expert skills in web design, SEO, social media marketing, and content writing to launch your business to new heights. Their team of professionals has 10+ years of experience under its belt, helping you reach limitless targets and providing excellent support.
Positive Medium offers a full stack of nifty, additional services, including project management, free consultations, in-person and on-site visits, flexible payment options, and custom packages, to name a few.
- Location: Seattle, USA
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire
- Expertise: SEO Optimization, Google Maps SEO, Technical SEO, High DA Niche Link-Building.
Focussing on top-quality results, Outburst Marketing helps businesses reach the top of Google’s search engine by using tried and tested SEO optimization tactics.
Their expertise lies in:
Google Maps SEO (involves GEO tagging images, SEO-optimized GMB descriptions, tags, and category research);
Technical SEO (assist Google in analyzing your page, increases user experience, and is a fundamental requirement for Google Maps SEO);
High DA Niche Link-Building (meaning permanent links taken from leading businesses and blogs that are reverse-engineered from your competition in order to increase engagement to your site).
With Outburst Marketing, you are ensured a proven track record, a more efficient data strategy, a targeted process, and excellent communication throughout your project/s.
- Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire.
- Expertise: Content Creation Plan, Content Strategy Audit, Content Marketing & Blogging Consulting.
WebCopyLand prides itself in its ability to cater to a wide range of industries, a showcase a diverse client base.
With a fantastic menu of services, WebCopyLand has worked with over 400 clients (from eCommerce to niche sites and artist portfolios) and has assisted with considerable traffic growth within the first three months of working with them. And with 12 years of digital marketing, SEO, content marketing, and copywriting experience, it’s no wonder that 70% of their clients go for their plans after their initial one-off purchase.
- Location: 204, AMBER TOWER, BEHIND AKASH CINEMA, AZADPUR, Delhi, 110033, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $9/hr
- Expertise: Branding, Digital Marketing, Search Engine Marketing, Digital Advertising, B2B Digital Advertising...
Wishup has a laundry list of services that helps their clients truly focus on essential business operations while they take care of the rest.
Take your pick of hiring one of Wishup’s virtual assistants, content marketers, and social media managers, or combine them all. Small businesses, entrepreneurs and large organizations will all benefit from having Wishup’s experienced team handling the nitty-gritty stuff.
Some of Whishup’s clients include Cubit and Joto PR.
- Location: 3333 Lee Pkwy, Suite 600 - #6148, Dallas, TX 75219
- Average Hourly Rate: $46/hr
- Expertise: Branding, Web Design, Mobile App Development, Website Development, WordPress Web Design, SEO, Software Development.
Supplying a multitude of varying businesses with a well-rounded set of marketing and design services, Standard American Web relies on successful, profit-driven tactics to ensure a solid digital voice.
Established in 2008, this Mississippi-native agency has tons of experience in branding, app development (iOS & Android), software development, SEO and so much more. Opting for Standard American Web as your go-to marketing agency is a no-brainer, particularly if you’re just setting up shop.
Some of Standard American Native’s most notable clients include The Bismark Bicks and Love for Children.
15. Digital Auxilius
- Location: 28260 Franklin Rd, Southfield, Michigan 48034, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, Legal Digital Marketing, SEO, Website Development, Web Design...
With over five years of industry experience, Digital Auxilius harnesses the power of digital technology to craft strategies that will help you grow your brand and keep up with the ever-evolving market.
The agency consists of hand-picked industry experts, from web and software developers and graphic designers to SEO and content writers, who all work in synergy to deliver demanding, complicated projects. Their services also include branding, brand identity design, and logo and business card design.
Their clients include Revival Research Institute, Lung-N-Sleep Disorder Center, and Tassels.
- Location: 17 Mandrake Way, Orange County, California 92612, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $150/hr
- Expertise: Digital Marketing, Content Marketing, SEO, Social Media Marketing, Web Design...
Unifage is a California-based digital marketing agency specializing in video marketing, website design, and CRM solutions.
As an Orange County HubSpot agency partner, Unifage empowers firms to embrace automation by integrating marketing automation with CRM solutions. Further, the agency helps "build strong brands" with a comprehensive online marketing strategy that includes social media, SEO, OOC, visual identity, and video marketing.
Unifage uses robust reports and analytics not only to measure your campaign's success but also to drive continuous improvement, identify new opportunities, and track spending.
Attorney Marketing Tips: Final Thoughts
If you're like most attorneys, your law firm's marketing efforts are probably limited to placing an ad in the local newspaper every couple of weeks, sending out mailers to prospective clients, and updating your website occasionally.
While these sorts of activities can be helpful, they're not necessarily going to bring in more business or inspire potential clients to choose your law firm over the competition.
The best way to expand your reach is by marketing your law firm. Today's legal landscape is more competitive than ever. You must adopt digital marketing strategies beyond making announcements about your services and using traditional marketing channels.
Creating a brand and visual identity for your law firm is just the beginning. Once that's done, you must maintain, consistently promote, and create new marketing materials.
Attorney Marketing FAQs
1. Why is law firm marketing important?
Law firm or lawyer marketing is crucial because it makes reaching potential clients through precise targeting possible. Detailed segmentation is an advantage of digital marketing that makes it simpler to connect with potential customers.
By investing in advertising appropriately, businesses can earn substantial profits, and with lower expenses, they can expect a greater return on their investment.
2. What is the best form of advertising for a lawyer?
For small and medium-sized legal firms, digital advertising is the most efficient form because it is targeted, cost-effective, and easily measurable.
Digital ads have the advantage of being precisely focused on the intended audience and are relatively inexpensive, while their performance can be quickly and accurately assessed.