Table of Contents
- What Makes DC Graphic Designers Unique?
- What Does A Washington, DC Graphic Design Firm Specialize In?
- What Are The Different Types Of Graphic Design Agencies In Washington, DC?
- How Much Do DC Graphic Designers Charge?
- Why Hire A Graphic Design Firm In Washington, DC?
- How To Hire A DC Graphic Design Firm
- 10 Questions To Ask When Hiring A Graphic Design Company In Washington, DC
- Takeaways On Graphic Design Firms In Washington, DC
What Makes DC Graphic Designers Unique?
At a glance, graphic design might not be an industry one would associate with Washington, DC. After all, the U.S. capital is best known as a hub for financial organizations, international associations and educational institutions.
So it might come as a surprise that the creative industry - including graphic design - is, in fact, one of Washington’s core sectors.
The creative industry in DC has grown sharply over the last few years and now accounts for 16% of the District's job market.
Its high standard of living, developed infrastructure and international business opportunities attract some of the best graphic designers in the U.S. and the world.
Just like the District of Columbia itself, the graphic design firms there are different from their peers anywhere else in the U.S.
Here are a few reasons why:
- A reputation to uphold: For any business, being based in Washington, DC is not just a matter of convenience. It’s a statement. And when your business operates in one of the most important cities in the world, you have a reputation to maintain. This is why you can always expect only the highest level of service from the graphic design agencies in DC. Anything less would simply be unacceptable in such an important, competitive market.
- Top-tier talent: DC’s prestige and high living standard have an obvious outcome - incredibly high living costs. This is why only top-tier talent has a chance of being successful in the US capital. The same applies to graphic designers. If you hire a Washington, DC design firm, you can be certain that only the best, most talented specialists will work on your projects.
- International recognition: With 400 international associations and 1,000 internationally owned companies, the DC Metro Area is about as diverse as it can get. For a graphic design company that wishes to establish itself as an internationally recognized creative guru, there is hardly a better place in the world. Working on projects for the World Bank or Hilton Worldwide can do wonders to the visibility of both a graphic design agency and its clients.
What Does A Washington, DC Graphic Design Firm Specialize In?
At their core, graphic design agencies in Washington, DC are not so different from graphic design agencies anywhere else in the world. They specialize in the different types of graphic design, such as:
- Product design
- Marketing materials design
- Packaging design
- Data visualization
However, there are a few niche services that the DC graphic design firms are particularly proficient in:
Service #1: Logos & Branding
A consistent branding strategy can increase your revenue by 23%.(Forbes)
What do Coca-Cola, Apple and Starbucks all have in common? They are among the strongest brands in the world and true statements to how important a solid branding strategy can be.
Since many heavyweight international companies are based in Washington, DC, the graphic design agencies there have vast experience and expertise in logo design and branding.
Service #2: Environmental Graphic Design
People who visit well-designed places rate their experience there 2x higher.(Gensler)
Environmental graphic design is a subset of interior and outdoor design that focuses on wayfinding systems, interactive displays and interior graphics.
If you’re a prominent international company with headquarters in one of world’s most prestigious cities, you have to make sure that your environmental design is on point.
Luckily, the DC-based graphic design firms have ample experience in it - from public spaces to the offices of world-famous organizations.
Service #3: Event Promotion & Marketing
87% of senior executives believe that live events are a great marketing tool.(Endless)
From business conferences to fundraisers to diplomatic affairs, it’s impossible to estimate how many events happen in Washington, DC every year.
Since these events usually attract lots of industry and media attention, they require impeccable promotion. Enter the DC graphic design agencies!
Eye-catching posters and promotional materials are instrumental to organizing an event that will stand out. That’s why the graphic design firms in Washington, DC have a real foothold in the city’s bustling event industry.
What Are The Different Types Of Graphic Design Agencies In Washington, DC?
There are a few different types of graphic design companies in DC that can be distinguished in a few different ways.
The first way has to do with the exact type of services they offer:
- Design-centric agencies focus entirely or almost entirely on graphic design services. These agencies usually employ masters of creativity that can create striking visuals for your brand but won’t be able to provide other services.
- Mixed services firms offer a comprehensive list of graphic design services that range from packaging design to branding. At the same time, they offer a range of other creative services, such as copywriting and web design.
- Full-service companies are, essentially, the graphic design agencies that got tired of always working as subcontractors for other marketing companies. Full-service companies offer a comprehensive range of digital services, such as video production, product marketing and consulting.
The second way of differentiating the graphic designs firm in DC is by the services they specialize in:
- Brand identity-focusedfirms are most proficient in developing branding strategies for their clients. These agencies are most proficient in designing logos, typography, color schemes, stationery and other fundamental brand identity elements.
- Marketing design-orientedagencies specialize in crafting visual materials for marketing and promotional efforts. Think banners for PPC campaigns, visuals for email newsletters, billboards, posters and so on.
- Digital design-orientedcompanies focus on all things digital, as the name implies. Their area of expertise is mostly within the area where design meets content, such as infographics, UX wireframes and web elements.
The third and final way of categorizing the Washington, DC graphic design agencies is by the industry they primarily service:
- Event promotion: Events and conferences of all kinds and scales take place in DC. And as you already know, event promotion is an important niche for many DC-based graphic design agencies. For some, it’s so important that they choose to focus their design efforts solely on events.
- Public services: Washington, DC is home not only to the US government but also to many other public institutions and organizations. A large portion of the creative industry in DC exists only to cater to the needs of these institutions. As a result, there are many graphic design firms that specialize in PSAs, information campaigns, and so on.
- Industry-agnostic agencies choose not to cater to specific industries and provide their services to all kinds of DC-based businesses and organizations.
How Much Do DC Graphic Designers Charge?
Despite Washington’s high living standard and business costs, graphic design agencies are not outrageously expensive.
Their rates depend mostly on the industry they focus on, the suite of services they provide and their reputation.
Most firms will set you back between $150 and $200 per hour. However, more experienced and established firms that provide exclusive services will charge as much as $300 per hour.
Project-based pricing starts at around $5,000. Although, it’s not uncommon for the graphic design agencies in DC to only take up projects valued at $10,000 or more, or even $25,000+.
It is important to point out that your expenses with a graphic design firm in Washington, DC will include more than just the firm’s hourly fee. This is the main difference between graphic design agencies and digital marketing companies.
There are several factors that contribute to the final bill that you will receive from a graphic design agency:
- Cost of materials: When working on your project, the agency may run into additional costs that you will have to cover. For example, if the agency is developing business cards for you, it will charge you separately for the paper, the printing, the font licensing and so on.
- Designer’s expertise: Based on the seniority of the designer who will work on your project, the agency might charge you a premium. This will most probably be reflected in the hourly rate. For instance, if the agency’s standard rate is $150 per hour, putting a senior-level, experienced designer on your project will easily double it.
- Urgency of the project: Time is money, even for graphic design agencies. That’s why if you wish to receive your new logo or packaging design faster, you should expect to pay additional fees.
- Revisions: Developing a comprehensive branding strategy or even a simple logo can be a lengthy process. It’s not uncommon for the graphic designers to develop several different iterations of their idea, until you settle on the one you like. As you can imagine, it is also not uncommon for them to charge you an additional fee for each revision.
Why Hire A Graphic Design Firm In Washington, DC?
With a GDP per capita of $208,284 and an average weekly wage of $1,669, Washington, DC is one of the wealthiest cities in the US.
The international prestige of Washington, DC as the US capital, its diverse business community and high living standard attract some of the most talented graphic designers in the country.
The graphic design agencies in DC get to work with some of the world’s most famous companies and organizations. And these companies and organizations can be very demanding.
As such, you can expect nothing but unique, high-quality creative output from the DC graphic design companies.
If you’re not convinced yet, here are a few more reasons why you should hire a graphic design company in Washington, DC:
- International experience: For graphic designers in DC, working with international companies and organizations does not only result in an impressive portfolio. Experiencing a diverse pool of cultures and viewpoints practices broadens their horizons and stimulates their creative approach.
- Competitiveness: Even though the creative industry is one of DC’s core sectors, there aren’t as many graphic design agencies as in other major US cities. For them, it means fierce competition and, as a result, constant improvement. For their clients, it means top-of-the-line services and a true client-centric attitude.
- Trustworthiness: Graphic design agencies in Washington, DC work with demanding, internationally-recognized clients. We mean military contractors, government agencies and internationally-owned billion-dollar companies. If these clients trust the agencies to follow the best business practices impeccably, so can you.
How To Hire A DC Graphic Design Firm
Still, picking a graphic design partner for your business can be a tricky process.
To make it easier, simply follow these key steps:
- Outline your project and goals: Explaining to a graphic designer what exactly you want from them can be difficult and even awkward. This is why you should have a clear understanding of your project before you approach a graphic design agency. Even more importantly, you should know what you want to achieve with that project.
- Research other work: Showing is always better than telling, especially in the visual medium that is graphic design. To get a better idea of what you’re looking for, simply find a few sample projects that are similar to what you need. Showing those samples to the designer will make it a lot easier for them to understand your desires.
- Set your budget: A graphic design project can be a costly, lengthy venture. Your project might go through several revisions, and the bills from the agency can pile up quickly. To avoid that, determine the exact budget for your design project well in advance and negotiate it with the agency.
- Create a comprehensive contract: The best way to ensure that your interests and the interests of the graphic design agency are protected is with an airtight, binding contract. A sound contract should touch upon such things as deliverables, deadlines and points of contact.
10 Questions To Ask When Hiring A Graphic Design Company In Washington, DC
Congratulations, you’ve picked a few graphic design firms in Washington, DC to choose from for your next design project.
As you’re entering the negotiations stage, it is important that you understand how you can learn more about their creative approach, work culture and expertise.
Here are a few questions to ask your potential design partners:
- How would you describe your design vision?
- What is the typical workflow in a project?
- What are the clients you’re most proud of working with?
- What are your core design strengths?
- How long does it typically take to complete a project?
- How is your team structured?
- Who will be my point of contact within your team?
- How will we communicate?
- What is your understanding of our products/services?
- What makes you different from your competitors?
Takeaways On Graphic Design Firms In Washington, DC
Washington, DC is not only a hub for US government agencies and international organizations. It is also home to some of the country’s best graphic design firms.
Operating in a city of international importance and prestige, they attract top-tier design professionals, as well as top-tier clients.
Due to DC’s diverse and demanding business environment, these firms are particularly proficient in:
- Branding strategies
- Event promotion
- Environmental graphic design
Graphic design companies in Washington, DC command higher fees than most of their peers in the US. An hour of their time will set you back anywhere between $150 and $300.
However, that rate won’t seem so unreasonable once you consider some their key strengths:
- International experience
Best of luck!