Choosing a web hosting solution can be a confusing process. Ultimately it’s impossible to recommend the best solution for everyone because the ideal host varies based on the specific needs of each business. Evaluating and understanding your own business needs is a critical first step to choosing an effective web hosting provider. Once you understand your needs, you can evaluate your options based on the following criteria:
● Uptime guarantees - What uptime guarantees does the web host offer? Are they upfront in sharing their uptime statistics? Are guarantees stated clearly in your agreement?
● Customer support - Does the hosting company offer 24/7 technical support? How is support managed -- through phone, ticketing, email, live chat, or all of the above? What are average response times for customer requests?
● Email hosting - Is email hosting included in your web hosting package? Are email accounts unlimited or will you have to pay once you surpass a certain threshold? What other enticements does the hosting company offer? For example, some hosting plans include domain registration and money-back guarantees within 30 days.
● Malware and spam protection - Does the hosting company offer malware and spam protection as part of their service? How will threats and attacks be handled if and when they do occur?
● Migration - Will the hosting company handle server migration on your behalf, or will you be responsible for doing so yourself? Do you have the resources to handle the process on your own if required?