Suppose you're a business owner and want to grow your business through social media marketing. In that case, it might seem like an impossible task to manage all of your company's social media profiles and updates on your own.
But with all the tools available today, it can be easy to find social media experts who can help you create and maintain your accounts so that you don't have to do it all yourself.
Outsourcing social media marketing is excellent if you want to save time and effort to focus more on driving your business.
Read on if you want to learn how to successfully hire a digital marketing firm, mainly social media marketing and management, essential things to keep in mind, and common pitfalls to avoid.
Table of Contents
- Outsourcing Social Media Management: Why You Should Do It?
- Benefits of Social Media Management Outsourcing
- Five Things to Keep in Mind When Outsourcing Social Media Management
- How to Vet Your Outsourced Social Media Manager
- Five Mistakes to Avoid In Social Media Management Outsourcing
- Hiring an Agency vs Freelancers: Which is Better for Social Media Management Outsourcing?
- The Best Social Media Management Companies to Outsource Your Project To
- Outsourcing Social Media Management: Final Thoughts
Outsourcing Social Media Management: Why You Should Do It?
While having an active social media presence is essential, the amount of time required to manage your various platforms can be overwhelming.
It's especially true for smaller businesses that don't have time to devote an employee solely to social media.
Outsourcing social media marketing for your business allows you to focus on other things while a team of professionals takes care of your social media platforms.
It's a cost-effective way to manage multiple platforms efficiently and effectively, all while reaching your target audience promptly.
Benefits of Social Media Management Outsourcing
In today's digital age, business owners are well aware of the integral role of social media in any business's marketing strategy. By outsourcing social media management, businesses can save time and resources while ensuring a consistent and effective online presence. Here are some benefits you shouldn’t miss:
- You can focus on what you do best for your business.
- Less time spent managing social media accounts means more time for other important things, like your family.
- You have more control over which types of content to post and when to publish.
- Budgeting is more flexible because you don't have to pay someone else for the service.
- You can get a broader range of services when you outsource social media management.
- You can get more value for your money.
- It's possible to gain a better return on your investment.
- You can get a more consistent experience through the social media manager's work with other clients.
- You can be flexible on the work deadline and how quickly the manager should complete each task.
- You also gain access to expert advice on how best to structure your posts so that they are most effective for reaching your desired audience at various stages.
Five Things to Keep in Mind When Outsourcing Social Media Management
Social media management outsourcing is a great way for businesses to streamline their online marketing efforts. This strategy truly has a myriad of benefits. However, it’s also crucial to keep these things in mind to make the most of the right agency or freelancer:
1. Set Your Social Media Marketing Goals
This step is important in social media management outsourcing because it helps you create a clear and focused strategy that aligns with your business’s objectives. You need to identify what you want to achieve from your social media efforts, including lead generation, brand awareness, or increasing website traffic.
By defining SMART goals, you can evaluate the success of your campaign, allowing you to allocate resources effectively and adjust your strategy as needed. This also allows you to maximize your investment and get the results you want.
2. Decide When and What Type of Content to Post
You need to know what they're posting is relevant to your brand and will be effective at driving conversions or engagement. These are some critical questions to ask yourself:
- What's the optimal time for sending out social media posts?
- Are there certain types of posts that have been more successful than others?
- What kind of content resonates most with your audience?
3. Put Safety Measures and Legal Precautions in Place
Protect your business by having a contract and an emergency action plan.
Also, have a backup plan if something goes wrong with your social media manager's health or family life.
For instance, suppose someone is sick one day and can't come to work, you'll want to be able to contact another person who can take care of your needs on short notice.
4. Choose the Right Social Media Management Tool
Hootsuite is ideal for businesses that have multiple social media accounts, as it allows you to manage all of them from one place. It also has a free version that gives you access to critical features, such as scheduling posts and communicating with followers.
Buffer is perfect if you're looking for an easy way to schedule your content ahead of time, based on when your audience is online.
Sprout Social is an ideal social media marketing tool for small businesses or agencies with only a few employees who want more advanced features than Hootsuite without spending too much on software.
5. Monitor Your Social Media Management Tools
When your social media manager uses one of the many social media marketing tools, like Hootsuite or Buffer, you will have a lot of content scheduled at once.
And when the time comes for those posts to go live, it's always a good idea to check back and make sure everything looks right before hitting publish.
If you're using an RSS feed from another website or aggregator such as Feedly, then there may be times when some posts are published out-of-order or in a way that the creators didn't intend.
How to Vet Your Outsourced Social Media Manager
It would be best to vet your new hire like any other employee. They should be qualified for the job and can deliver on expectations, so it makes sense to be thorough during this process.
These are some tips on how to make sure your outsourced social media manager will be able to handle your projects.
Determine What You're Looking for in a Social Media Manager
What is the purpose of your social media manager? Is it about communicating with customers and potential clients? If so, does this mean managing an already-existing presence on multiple platforms or building out new accounts from scratch? Or maybe you want someone who can help develop content consistently across all channels, keeping your message consistent across platforms?
How much are you willing to spend on this position? Social media managers come at different price points depending on their experience level and how many hours per week/month they can dedicate to this role—so consider your budget before setting up interviews.
Look Into the Social Media Manager's History
When vetting your social media manager, look at three main areas: their history, strategy, and skills. Let's take a closer look at each of these.
- History: The best place to start is in the past. Take note of what they have done so far with their work on social media.
- What kind of content does their company produce?
- How often do they post? What are the results of this work?
- How has it impacted the business overall?
- Strategy: Your next step should be looking into your potential partner's techniques for managing your presence online.
- How do they want you represented on different platforms?
- How would they approach setting up an account for a new account such as Instagram?
- How will posts be scheduled and promoted?
- Skills: The next step is to see what the potential social media manager has done in the past. You'll want to look at their work samples, handling of previous clients, and strengths.For example, if you also need to outsource content writing, you may want to work with an agency that offers that service as well.
Research Your Hire's References
You should ask your social media manager for at least three references—and be sure to contact them all.
It's essential not only to get a sense of how others view this person but also for the candidate to be able to provide you with additional insight into their background and experience.
- What is your relationship with this person?
- How long have they been working in the field? (If they're new, ask yourself if they'll be able to gain enough experience.)
- What do they do well? Why do you think so?
Ask How They'll Keep You in the Loop on Progress or Issues
You'll need an open line of communication between you and your SMM team so that you know how things are going.
For this relationship to work, both parties need to understand the value of their work and how it contributes to achieving business goals.
You'll also want to assess their communication skills.
- Do they respond quickly?
- Are they easy to get a hold of when you need them urgently?
- Can they clearly explain their strategies?
If your outsourced social media manager is challenging to communicate with, this problem will likely increase as your business grows.
Take Advantage of a Trial Period or Contract
When working with an outsourced social media manager, ensure you're comfortable with the person. The best way to do this is by using a trial period or contract.
A trial period can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It will give you an idea of how well they fit in with your company culture, how fast they work, and what results they can deliver.
A contract should be ready before beginning any work on your account(s). It should include:
- Tasks during each phase (e.g., creating a content calendar)
- Timeframe of completion (e.g., weekly)
- Any particular goals for growth or engagement during specific periods (e.g., increase followers by 100 per week)
Five Mistakes to Avoid In Social Media Management Outsourcing
When outsourcing social media management, there are a few common mistakes to avoid.
- Not asking for references: It's okay to ask for references from previous clients. Consider this a red flag if an agency or freelancer hesitates to provide connections.
- Forgetting the contract: A contract should outline the details of your agreement, including who will do what work and how much it will cost. Ensure everyone understands what they're signing up for and what they can expect from their relationship with the other party — in this case, your social media manager.
- Not overseeing your social media manager: If your partner is not providing the quality of work you expect, you should address it immediately so they can adjust accordingly.
- Hiring an agency that doesn’t specialize in your niche: The best agencies specialize in a specific niche, like financial planning or real estate, but general agencies can handle any business.
- Not having a clear outline of tasks: If you don't set expectations for your goals, it could lead to poor results and miscommunication.
Hiring an Agency vs Freelancers: Which is Better for Social Media Management Outsourcing?
Hiring a social media marketing company or individual freelancer means that you get expert advice and guidance from someone who specializes in your industry.
They will help you create engaging content and manage your accounts daily so they run smoothly without wasting too much of your time.
Both have pros and cons—and it's essential to consider the unique needs of your business when making the decision.
Here's how to know which is better for your needs.
Agencies are like one-stop shops for social media management. They have a team of people who manage multiple accounts, taking care of crucial day-to-day tasks, including social media strategy development, content creation, community management, analytics, performance monitoring, ad management, and more.
Agencies can tap into experts with several years of experience to gain insights into best practices. They take any applicable tips to help your brand’s channels.
When it comes to social media management outsourcing, agencies are also more consistent and reliable. Even if the point person for your brand is out of the office or on vacation, another expert can step in to maintain your brand’s momentum.
Working with a social media marketing agency can cost anywhere from $50 to $500 per month. However, the cost varies widely depending on their service level, team size, and your budget.
If increased convenience, expertise, and consistency are more important factors for your business than cost, then an agency may be worth considering.
Freelancers work remotely from home or wherever they choose. When you outsource social media marketing to a freelancer, you don't have to worry about them showing up in person or having office space.
The benefits of hiring freelancers for your social media efforts include the ability to work alone or as part of a team, flexibility, and the speed with which you can get results.
You'll have control over how much time they spend working on your account, which is especially important if you manage multiple accounts for different clients.
They are typically cheaper than agencies because they don't require salaries or benefits. However, additional costs, like equipment rental or purchase, may be associated with working remotely.
Hiring freelancers may be the way to go if cost is a factor.
The Best Social Media Management Companies to Outsource Your Project To
1. Excal Design
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Average Hourly Rate: On inquiry
- Expertise: Branding, 360-degree Digital Services, Logo Design, Graphic Design...
Excal Design Inc is a digital agency specializing in branding and digital marketing, but also providing full-scale digital services including social media management. Their services include strategic planning, web design, experience design, cross medium design, creative solutions and brand consulting.
In business since 1994, the agency's mission is creating end-to-end brand experiences for businesses through design combined with other value-added services. The company can help with growth hacking and achieving optimum brand value no matter if your company is a startup or an established business.
- Location: N. Chesterfield, VA
- Average Hourly Rate: $100
- Expertise: Social Media Marketing, Branding, 360-degree Digital Services, Small Business Branding...
J Drake Web Design is a company that builds problem-facing solutions for its clients, from creating a brand identity or a logo to rebuilding a website for established businesses. They begin by researching and discovering their clients' brands and researching their industry to identify the company's UVP.
Then, they develop and deploy the plan into action so that their clients' audience can experience the brand in a positive and meaningful way, while retaining the unique solution that works for the company, within their parameters and budgets.
- Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
- Average Hourly Rate: $75
- Expertise: Branding, Search Engine Marketing, SEO
The Golden Vineyard Branding Company is an agency helping their clients' clients understand what makes their business unique and elevate their current brand to be more competitive and attract next-level customers. They understand that premium brands must stand out in today's crowded marketplace.
Apart from delivering brand positioning and competitive analysis services, as well as website design and content marketing with a working SEO plan, the agency also provides social media management services that helps clients better connect and engage with their followers and prospective buyers.
- Location: Orange County, CA
- Average Hourly Rate: $75
- Expertise: Branding, Search Engine Marketing, SEO
Redbear Marketing is an award-winning digital agency that partners with brands seeking transformative business results in a time of significant disruption. With their experience in advanced digital marketing and advertising technologies, they provide services and consulting in the areas of SEO, social media, reputation management, data strategy, content marketing, ad buying, and analytics.
They believe in a holistic approach where all aspects of their clients' teams are working together. It doesn't matter if their clients are developing a digital ad campaign or producing a commercial, everyone must be on the same page and working together.
5. CIS Agency
- Location: Grand Rapids, MI
- Average Hourly Rate: $50
- Expertise: Social Media Marketing, Digital Marketing, Branding, SEO...
CIS Agency understands that a business image is one of the most valuable assets to their clients' companies and is critical in achieving their short and long-term goals. The agency has experience working with various national and international companies in different industries.
Whether their clients need help just once to create their website or want ongoing monthly support to maximize web traffic, CIS Agency has the tools, relationships, and expertise to provide everything needed to create the website or marketing service that perfectly reflects any business.
- Location: 120 Washington Street Suite 202 Salem, MA 01970, Salem, Massachusetts 01970, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $150/hr
- Expertise: 360° Digital Services, Digital Strategy, Branding, Small Business Branding...
Bubbly Creative is an agency that acknowledges that Digital Marketing & Content Marketing drive traffic to websites, inform decisions, provide value and build awareness and credibility for brands and organizations. The agency helps clients find their brand purpose and mission, as well as assists them in constructing a brand voice that captures the imagination of their qualified audience.
Bubbly has the passion and expertise their clients need to find their truest voice while creating a cohesive strategy threading together creative, exciting content throughout website, social profiles, email marketing, marketing materials, and blogs.
- Location: 5207 South Kedzie Ave, Chicago, Illinois
- Average Hourly Rate: On inquiry.
- Expertise: Web Development, UI/UX Design, eCommerce Development, CMS Development, Android & iOS App Development...
Chicago Tech Solution's services of web development, digital marketing and branding stand unprecedented and professional in the top square. Acing the digital sphere, they get to the bottom of the clients' predicament and provide constructive solutions for B2B & B2C spaces globally and locally.
This digital marketing and web development firm provides a full-fledged service package encased in 8+ years of work experience that aims to establish and enhance any social media campaign in a wide horizon of marketing endeavors.
- Location: 5207 South Kedzie Ave Chicago Illinois 60632
- Average Hourly Rate: $150/hr
- Expertise: Branding, Food & Beverage Branding, Beer Branding...
Twist & Tailor is a digital marketing agency for spirits and beverage brands. Services they offer include social media marketing, photography, video, email marketing, web design, graphic design, and more.
Their entire team is comprised of hospitality professionals who understand spirits and beverages well, so we know how to market and sell any brand in this vertical best to audiences on social media.
- Location: 10472 Islington Ave #2, Kleinburg, Ontario, L0J 1C0, Canada
- Average Hourly Rate: On inquiry.
- Expertise: Logo Design, Product Design, Print Design, Advertising, Package Design...
An agency creating digital identities, Design Rooster creates beautiful visuals that connect clients' brands with their customers across all touchpoints, including social media.
The agency works closely with their clients to develop a unique and custom digital identity for any business. Their team combines craftsmanship with creative thinking in order to cultivate brand identity while utilizing the design world’s latest trends. As experts of design, they believe in the importance of attracting an audience in order to make your business grow. exploring their clients' industry in order to develop something amazing.
- Location: 18/8 Fico Building, 7th Floor, Sukhumvit 21, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand
- Average Hourly Rate: $30/hr
- Expertise: Brading, Naming, Beer Branding, Logo Design, Digital Design...
At Asia Media Studio, they believe that their process and our partnership with clients, many of whom have come from referrals and recommendations, are what makes them different. Their agency wants to make sure their clients' brand matches their determination by creating something distinctive to penetrate markets and inspire audiences.
They excel in branding, web design, digital marketing and more. Apart from counting words and characters, their online editor can help customers to improve word choice and writing style, and, optionally, help them detect grammar mistakes and plagiarism.
- Location: Inicia Incorporated 515 Madison Ave Suite 8057, New York, New York 10022, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: Brading, Social Media, Logo Design, Digital Marketing, SEO...
Incognito Worldwide adheres to strict procedural protocols to ensure that your project is done correctly, and on time, focusing on four prime areas: automation, design, development, and marketing.
Their design team not only develops logos, brochures, banners, and websites, but with the depth of our consulting team, we can also research, write, and produce investment documents (pitch decks, one-sheets, KPI charts, and more).
Their technology team has written custom code and developed systems for governments, such as the city of Buenos Aires, industry leaders such as HSBC, Santander Bank, Carrier, and MTV, and SMEs.
12. Impressive Sol
- Location: 10 Monument Road, Woking, GU21 5LS, United Kingdom
- Average Hourly Rate: $30
- Expertise: Logo Design, Graphic Design, Web Design, Digital Marketing...
Impressive Sol is a UK-based web design company that has been successfully making its identity in the industry of web development and has credibility in design and multimedia. With a creative team of digital experts, the company provides top-class, professional services to the clients with outstanding results.
They are specialists in interactive web and App development, Innovative web and App design, graphic design and up-to-date planned online marketing.
Their objective is to satisfy clients and provide the best services according to their needs. They will efficiently execute creative digital strategies to fulfill clients' business goals and enhance their business with the perfect design and development.
13. Spirit Pixels
- Location: Bože Jankovića 76, Belgrade, 11000, Serbia
- Average Hourly Rate: $50
- Expertise: Branding, Content Marketing, eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development...
Spirit Pixels is a company led by their desire to produce great work and lift uncommon brands beyond the noise. They produce notable, original work that requires more than a strategy, beautiful design, well-structured development, or a responsive layout.
The agency follows the principles of passion and craftsmanship, duty and assistance and networking and connecting in delivering their best work. Their slients act as a part of their team by working together in collaboration.
In particular, the agency understands communication and creates communicative content. In cooperation with clients their creative team members, interactive designers, web editors and social media managers enhance their clients' content.
- Location: Ibn Gabirol 2, Tel Aviv, 6407702, Israel
- Average Hourly Rate: $150
- Expertise: Branding, B2B Branding, Public Relations, Social Media Marketing...
Percepto is a team of digital strategists, and storytellers with the skills, experience, and know-how to help companies, C-suites, and business leaders maximize their online presence, promote their key messages, and deal with reputational challenges.
They are committed to achieving the best results for their clients through sharp strategies and effective implementation. The agency ensures that their clients' messaging is accurately delivered to the right target audiences and stakeholders at the right time.
In terms of social media management, Percepto implements effective strategies with a mixture of paid and organic content, placed across all social media platforms to increase engagement with customers and stakeholders.
- Location: UNIT 2501-02, 25/F,CEO TOWER, 77 WING HONG STREET, LAI CHI KOK, KOWLOON, HONG KONG, Hong Kong, +852, Hong Kong
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire
- Expertise: Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Marketing, Influencer Marketing, SEO...
AsiaPac comprehends their clients' backgrounds and provides the best customized digital solutions that meet their business objectives.
Complemented by their self-developed digital technologies, OptAdEasy and KOOLER AI, adding wings to the solutions. The agency strives to propel your business across China, southeast Asia, and global. They offer a wide range of services, include programmatic, SEM, SEO, social, content, influencer, display, and video.
Clients include Marks & Spencer, City of Dreams, CONVOY etc.
Outsourcing Social Media Management: Final Thoughts
Outsourcing social media management is a great way to free up your time and ensure you get the most out of your social media content strategy.
Working with a freelancer or a branding agency that fits your needs can help promote your brand effectively across all platforms.
But first, you should consider what you want from your social media strategy and how you can best achieve those goals.