No matter how visually appealing your eCommerce website design features are or how good your product is, what’s the point if no one ever opens your site?
While top-notch website design and high-quality products are key to customer satisfaction, you first have to attract customers to work with.
Slamming customers with hostile marketing does more harm than good, so it’s crucial for you to learn how to promote an eCommerce website the right way.
Table of Contents
How To Promote an eCommerce Website: The Basics
Just like you shouldn't go into battle with one arm tied behind your back, you should also take the time to invest in your business and get its fundamentals right before spending money on any marketing efforts.
The ultimate goal of any marketing campaign is to drive more traffic, generate leads, and convert them into customers.
Start by setting up a plan. Professionals who plan their marketing efforts are 365% more likely to succeed.
A good strategy helps you stay on the right track even when other operational tasks are spiraling out of control.
Will you be using social media to boost your brand’s visibility and direct customers toward your website?
Are you thinking of starting an email campaign and including links to your online store?
Maybe you’re toying with the idea of investing in an SEO campaign to get traffic.
No matter your choice, your eCommerce marketing plan can be as simple as a few bullet points or as detailed as a full-blown strategy.
For starters, it should include:
- A detailed overview of your target audience and their age, gender, and location.
- An analysis of your competitors' websites so you know what they are doing well (or not) in online sales.
- A list of your preferred marketing channels and a set budget for advertising each month.
- An in-depth study of the purchasing behavior trends to help you determine which products are selling well.
- A vision of what you want to achieve from the eCommerce marketing campaign.
- The specific actions needed to achieve your goals.
- The timing of each action and its expected completion date.
Having all this laid out will help ensure everything you and your team do is feeding into the bigger picture of turning profits.
Now that you know the basics, let’s start with some actionable tips on how to market your business online in four easy steps!
SEO for the Win
SEO isn’t a quick fix.
It takes time for the search engines' algorithms to update their search results pages according to how users interact with them—and even then, it can take a while before those changes show up at all.
But, if you're willing to put in the effort and keep at it, there will be benefits later down the road.
53.3% of all website traffic comes from organic search, and your eCommerce website can have a piece of the action if you play your cards right.
Even if you’re not an expert in search engine optimization, follow these tips to see results:
- Perform keyword research. You can use plenty of online tools to discover relevant and popular keywords in your industry. However, high search volume is not the only thing you should base your keyword research on—you must understand the buyer's intent.
- Check the quality of your content. High-quality content is the root of any marketing campaign, and it can help you garner a stable flow of SEO traffic.
- Pay close attention to your page titles. A good page title makes it easier for users to find out what content they will get on a particular page. Make it descriptive enough so people know what they will get after clicking on it.
- Add meta tags. These small pieces of code are placed at the beginning of each web page’s HTML code, which help search engines understand how important this particular page is for its user’s search query, driving more targeted traffic your way.
- Recognize the interlinking opportunities. Try to interlink as many products as you can. This way, visitors can browse similar products to the ones they’re interested in, boosting your chances of making a sale.
- Get as many backlinks as possible. Search engines rank websites based on the number, quality, and relevance of links they have pointing back to them.
It’s Called SOCIAL Media for a Reason
Social media is a great place to...well, socialize.
But, not only is it useful for chit-chatting with friends and stalking your ex, but social media allows you to connect with potential customers, make meaningful business connections, build trust with your audience, and of course, promote your eCommerce website.
59% of the world's population uses social media—use this obsession to your advantage. 44.8% of people use social media to get information about brands so you better give them something worth searching for.
If you’re having trouble syncing your eCommerce marketing efforts with your social media accounts, here are a few ways you can build some buzz around your store:
Let Your Personality Shine Through
There are over 26 million eCommerce websites worldwide, and the only way to compete with them is to be unique.
What we mean by that is you have to become the ” Salt Bae” of your industry. After posting a video of himself sprinkling salt, his popularity and the success of his restaurants went over the roof.
However, take it with a grain of salt (pun intended); don’t copy what others are doing but instead, embrace your own weirdness.
After all, 90% of consumers list authenticity as a crucial factor in deciding which brands to support.
Pair up With Influencers
49% of consumers trust influencer recommendations, and 40% bought something after they saw influencers use it.
You can reach out to influencers, give them freebies, and ask them to share an honest review with their audience.
Moreover, consider finding brands with similar audiences to yours and organize a giveaway. Hosting a Q&A session is yet another great solution on how to promote an eCommerce website over social media.
If you’re up for it, you can even share behind-the-scenes footage of the production process or your office dynamics and satisfy your audience’s curiosity.
Share User-generated Content
79% of people are likely to make a purchase based on user-generated content.
It can be used as social proof, giving people peace of mind knowing they're getting what they paid for. It also allows you to get feedback from your customers about their experience with the product, which can help you determine areas of improvement.
Encouraging your customers to share pictures and videos of your products is a great way to get the word out. The easiest way to get people to post your products is to organize giveaways regularly, at least while your business is still relatively unknown.
Re-share on your social profiles or website to make your customers feel seen and heard. Plus, they'll be more likely to share your products again if they feel appreciated.
The best part about UGC is that it puts the focus on users instead of brands. Not to mention, it’s way better to have other people boast about your products than tooting your own horn.
Pay to Play: Adopt Paid Traffic
Another great answer to how to promote an eCommerce website is to put your money where your mouth is — literally.
If you’ve tried it all to get more traffic but your efforts went in vain, it’s time to bring out the big guns — take out your wallet and be prepared to cough up a few bucks.
- Run a PPC campaign based on your keyword research. If you already have a list of keywords you should optimize, you can take the shortcut and use them to direct paid traffic to your eCommerce website.
- 75% of the top eCommerce websites invest in PPC as paid ads can be used at every stage of the eCommerce sales funnel.
- An eCommerce PPC campaign, like Google AdWords, helps businesses show up at the top of search results without going through the trouble of optimizing the keywords.
- Leverage the power of Facebook and Instagram ads. They show up on the users’ feeds and can help you drive targeted traffic to your store.
- What’s even better, unlike Google AdWords, users don’t have to be looking for your product—Facebook and Instagram offer a unique chance for product discovery.
How to Market Your Online Business Offline
If you have a physical store, you can use it to drive more traffic to your website.
Thinking outside of the box is key in any type of marketing and eCommerce promotion is no exception.
For example, whenever a customer visits your store, you can ask them to place their order online and offer 20% off.
Moreover, you can give your customers a coupon for every in-store purchase redeemable only online.
Or, you can offer free shipping to your brick-and-mortar location!
Best eCommerce Marketing Agencies to Hire
- Location: 2040, Silver Business Point, VIP Circle, Uttran, Surat, Gujarat, Surat, 394105, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: eCommerce Development, eCommerce Web Design, Magento Development.
MagentoBrain is a leading Magento Development Company in India. They have provided eCommerce Development and eCommerce Web Design services to their clients for over ten years. Their team of experts is ready to develop any kind of eCommerce website, be it B2B or B2C.
MagentoBrain provides businesses with end-to-end solutions, from developing websites to maintaining them on an ongoing basis, all while driving sales and providing end-users with the best online shopping experience possible.
Some of MagentoBrain’s most notable clients include Ballon Box Shop, Furniture Mart, HERBANO and Lights 4 Living.
- Location: Plot NO 55, 3rd Floor, Shivaji Enclave, Rajouri Garden, New Delhi, 110027, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $50/hr
- Expertise: Digital Strategy, eCommerce Development, eCommerce Web Design, Small Business eCommerce Development, BigCommerce Website Design, WooCommerce Development, eCommerce App Development, Shopify, eCommerce Consulting, eCommerce SEO, eCommerce Marketing, .Net Development.
Refresh Ideas is an India-based digital agency that specializes in digital marketing for eCommerce and was first founded in 2002.
They house a team of full-stack developers who are passionate about what they do and are always looking for new ways to take their clients' businesses to the next level and help them reach their goals. From business strategy to development and everything in between, Refresh Ideas works with you every step of the way to make sure your project is done right.
They provide services such as Digital Strategy, Ecommerce Development, Ecommerce Web Design, Website Design, SEO, Marketing, and .Net Development, with a keen knowledge of Shopify.
Some of their most notable clients include ACL Education Online, Tantiv4, and Golden Tips Tea.
- Location: Leopoldstraße 2-8, Herford, 32051, Germany
- Average Hourly Rate: $40/hr
- Expertise: eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Website Development, Magento Development, UI/UX Design, Software Development, Managed Services.
IntexSoft has been providing end-to-end software development services for businesses and IT companies since 2001, and has clients both locally in Germany and globally. The company has a team with a collective twenty-year experience under their belts, and they work together to provide the best solutions for their clients.
IntexSoft provides custom software development and digital agency services for Magento, eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Website Development, UI/UX Design & Software development, to name a few. Their painless software development process ensures only the highest quality end product while catering to all their clients’ needs.
Some of IntexSoft’s most notable clients include VENUS, T Systems, and Sitewerk.
- Location: 20-22 Welock Road, London, N1 7GU, United Kingdom
- Average Hourly Rate: $65/hr
- Expertise: 360° Digital Services, Advertising, Web Design, Digital Marketing, Search Engine Marketing, Digital Advertising, B2B Digital Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Integrated Marketing, Content Marketing, eCommerce Marketing, and Inbound Marketing.
Marketiu is a digital marketing agency with more than 9 years of experience in its industry. They provide high-quality services to clients by using cutting-edge technologies, processes, and strategies.
Marketiu has a team of experts who specialize in different areas of digital marketing including web design, search engine marketing, B2B digital marketing, advertising, and social media marketing. They offer 360° Digital Services to their clients and work with them to create customized solution that meets their needs and goals.
First established in 2016, this London-based agency has worked with numerous clients over the years, some of which include Cognism, Crispin Glover, and HPL Centre.
- Location: A/410, Titanium City Center, Anandnagar Road, Satellite, Ahmedabad, 380015, India
- Average Hourly Rate: $25/hr
- Expertise: Branding Logo Design, Creative, Web Design, eCommerce Development, Mobile App Development, Website Development, WordPress Website Design, Magento Development, Digital Marketing, SEO, Social Media Marketing.
Twitchtime is a full-service digital agency that provides a variety of services to help companies succeed. They are the one-stop shop for all your digital needs.
Based out of India and founded in 2015, Twitchtime’s goal has always been to provide clients with affordable and quality web design, SEO, logos, eCommerce development, mobile app development, and website development services (to name a few).
They have been able to provide their clients with everything they need to succeed; and their team of makers, thinkers, explorers, and geeks approach every work and play with curiosity and experimentation and produce meaningful and interesting end products.
Some of their clients include YouAre, DoForward, and Sleep Dream Time (App).
How To Promote an eCommerce Website: Key Takeaways
It's not enough to just have a website. You need to promote it, too.
The good news is, promoting your eCommerce website can be done in many different ways, and they all work together to create a comprehensive strategy for growing your online business.
The more you know about what works and what doesn’t, the better prepared you will be to promote your business online.
Now is not the time to stay in your comfort zone — get creative with your eCommerce marketing strategy.