Did you know that eCommerce retail sales are projected to grow up to $6.54 trillion this year?
To get a slice of this pie, businesses that sell online are bound to use the best eCommerce marketing strategies to compete against other brands on the market and stand out.
This is your guide to the proven eCommerce marketing tactics that boost sales in 2023.
Table of Contents
- What Is eCommerce Marketing?
- 7 Best eCommerce Marketing Strategies For More Sales In 2023
- Strategy #1: High-Quality And Unique Content As A Powerful And Cost-Effective Method For Lead Generation
- Strategy #2: Retargeting Remains One Of The Most Effective eCommerce Marketing Tactics
- Strategy #3: Personalized Emails Help Reingage Your Online Shoppers
- Strategy #4: Social Media Is At The Heart Of A Successful eCommerce Marketing Strategy
- Strategy #5: eCommerce SEO Helps Expand Your Market And Reach
- Strategy #6: Affiliate Programs Help eCommerce Brands Increase Awareness And Sales
- Strategy #7: Google Shopping Is An Increasingly Important eCommerce Marketing Channel
- Takeaways On eCommerce Marketing
eCommerce marketing is the process of promoting your online store and products through a variety of marketing channels.
Depending on what stage of the sales funnel your audience is in, your goals may differ.
Thereby, you might want to incorporate eCommerce marketing tactics to:
- Generate brand awareness
- Educate consumers about a new product
- Drive traffic
- Increase the number of prospects
- Convert more leads
- Boost the number of sales
- And more
The eCommerce market is one of the most competitive ones. And this type of marketing is the key to achieving your objectives and outperforming your competition.
7 Best eCommerce Marketing Strategies For More Sales In 2023
These are some of the best strategies to boost your online sales this year. Each strategy is backed by research, so you can start using them with confidence starting today itself:
Strategy #1: High-Quality And Unique Content As A Powerful And Cost-Effective Method For Lead Generation
The primary goal of using a content eCommerce marketing strategy is to educate potential clients about your products or services and generate brand awareness.
However, sharing high quality and unique blog posts, photos, videos and infographics on various platforms can also engage your prospects with your brand.
Content is a product itself. And, as such, its aim is to draw attention.
Once you provide your audience with something valuable, you will create a meaningful relationship that will result in a traffic increase.
So, make sure you provide your leads with useful guides, answer their questions, talk about their biggest problems, etc.
For instance, if you sell healthy food, you can post content on nutrition, give tips on losing weight, talk about the different body types and more.
Once consumers find something meaningful they will establish a connection with your brand which will ultimately result in higher lead generation and conversions.
To implement this eCommerce marketing strategy:
- Think about what type of content you want to create
- Take into consideration your audience’s needs
- Use your target market’s language
- Focus on user experience
- Incorporate visuals
- Distribute your content on various channels
By all means, your content should be unique and of high quality. So, only use the content of your competition as an inspiration. Never copy them because consumers want to see something authentic.
Strategy #2: Retargeting Remains One Of The Most Effective eCommerce Marketing Tactics
69.57 % of online shopping carts get abandoned. (Baymard Institute)
Although consumers show interest in your products, there might be several reasons why they never complete their purchases.
Whether it is the high price or the shipping cost, retargeting is one of the best eCommerce marketing strategies to implement to make your leads return to your store and buy what you sell.
This is one of the simplest eCommerce marketing tactics that include running retargeting ads on different platforms.
With the help of AI, you can understand what certain prospects are interested in.
Then, you create a tailored ad that runs on various channels to remind them of your brand and products, as well as to drag them back to the checkout process.
Strategy #3: Personalized Emails Help Reingage Your Online Shoppers
49% of users prefer to receive promotional e-mails from retail brands they like on a weekly basis. (Statista)
Email marketing is one of the best eCommerce marketing strategies to use to reach your target market.
Consumers enjoy reading fresh content and receiving promotional emails, special offers, sales and discounts by their favorite brands, especially if they are personalized.
When done the right way, email marketing can produce a consistent return on investment. In fact, research shows that for every $1 you invest in this type of marketing, you can expect an average ROI of $42.
To get started with email marketing:
- Build an email list
- Decide on the types of content to send
- Incorporate personalization
- Use automation
- Analyze results
Combine written and visual content and nurture your email marketing list to generate higher traffic, close more deals and boost your profit.
Strategy #4: Social Media Is At The Heart Of A Successful eCommerce Marketing Strategy
66% of Facebook users like or follow a brand on the platform. (SproutSocial)
Social media marketing can be one of the most effective online strategies for eCommerce websites. This is mostly due to the fact that channels like Facebook and Instagram allow targeting specific audiences and linking to specific pages on your site.
It means that using the right social media eCommerce marketing tactics, you can attract the right consumers to your online store and connect them with their favorite products.
So, utilizing the power of social media, you can engage potential customers, generate higher website traffic and make more conversions almost for free.
Before you start implementing this eCommerce marketing strategy, make sure you:
- Learn as much as you can about your audience: Understand who are you trying to connect with by learning where your target market lives, how old they are, what languages they speak and what their likes and dislikes are.
- Choose the platforms to promote your brand on: To find out which networks are the right ones for your business, look at their demographics. Learn the number of users they have, their users’ age, location and more. But also, do a little bit of research to understand which platforms offer the biggest advantages for eCommerce businesses.
- Keep an eye on your competition: Discover what your competitors are doing on social media. Try to find out what eCommerce marketing tactics they use, what they post, how often they post, which networks they use and how they engage users.
This will help you create online marketing strategies for eCommerce websites and get you started with social media.
Then, once you actively start sharing posts and making campaigns, use data to determine the best posting times and the number of desired posts.
Also, measure the results of your campaigns to adjust your eCommerce marketing tactics the right way. Social media platforms have their own built-in analytics for business profiles.
So, make sure you read data on impressions, reach, website clicks and profile visits to understand user behavior.
Strategy #5: eCommerce SEO Helps Expand Your Market And Reach
87% of consumers now conduct online searches for products. (Retail Dive)
One of the most important eCommerce marketing tactics for boosting your sales is optimizing your website and products for search engines.
For your online store and products to be visible and to show up in the SERPs when users conduct specific searches, you need to optimize them for the exact keywords.
In other words, you should understand your audience and find out what terms they use when they look for similar products or services to the ones you offer.
Then, you should implement the best Search Engine Optimization practices and fully optimize the exact keywords your audience is searching for.
To optimize your product pages for SEO:
- Determine your target keywords: To pull the right key phrases, you can count on the help of SEO tools such as SEMrush, Ahrefs and Moz.
- Use your keywords appropriately: You should include your keywords in your products’ title tag, meta description and short URL.
- Create unique product descriptions: Make sure you describe each product in terms of size, shape, color and features to provide consumers with a pleasant shopping experience.
- Include customer reviews: Reviews are an excellent way to generate keywords naturally. Every next comment left by your clients will keep your content fresh.
What’s more, to implement the best online marketing strategies for eCommerce websites, make sure you also make your store mobile-friendly, make it fast to load and keep it simple and easy to navigate.
This will improve user experience and increase dwell time on site.
Strategy #6: Affiliate Programs Help eCommerce Brands Increase Awareness And Sales
An eCommerce marketing strategy wouldn’t be complete without a successful affiliate program. It can increase your reach faster and distribute your brand message to a wider audience.
To implement affiliate marketing, search for influential affiliates who can promote your products on different platforms.
This is also one of the most cost-effective digital marketing strategies for eCommerce websites because it is performance-based. It means that you will only pay your affiliate partners as much as they deliver.
When implementing this eCommerce marketing strategy, make sure you:
- Focus on providing your audience with value
- Don’t overuse links in emails
- Promote high-quality products
- Focus on building a meaningful relationship rather than just selling
- Are helpful
- Provide users with value
Strategy #7: Google Shopping Is An Increasingly Important eCommerce Marketing Channel
Google Shopping ads generate 76.4% of retail search ad spend. (Adthena)
Google Shopping is also among the best eCommerce marketing strategies in 2023 because of its ability to bring better-qualified traffic and higher conversions.
By displaying images in search results, Google puts your physical products directly in front of the eyes of potential customers while enticing the users to engage and take action.
What’s great about this eCommerce marketing strategy is that brands that appear in the SERPs seem to be credible although customers are often not familiar with them.
So, whenever Google matches your products with the phrases users search for, the chances that they will trust your brand enough to make a purchase are higher.
To use Google Shopping you should:
- Create a Google Merchant Center account
- Optimize your product pages
- Link your Google AdWords account
- Create a campaign
Takeaways On eCommerce Marketing
eCommerce marketing is the key to success for all the businesses that sell online. It helps you generate brand awareness, increase the number of conversions and boost your sales.
To stand out from the crowd and outperform your competition in 2023, make sure you implement the best eCommerce marketing strategies:
- Post high-quality and unique content
- Retarget users
- Send personalized emails
- Create social media campaigns
- Optimize your store and products
- Invest in an affiliate program
- Leverage the power of Google Shopping
Follow the best eCommerce marketing tactics or invest in high-end eCommerce marketing services that can help you accelerate business growth.