Table of Contents
- What Makes Graphic Designers In NYC Unique?
- What Does A NYC Graphic Design Firm Specialize In?
- What Are The Different Types Of NYC Graphic Design Companies?
- How Much Do NYC Graphic Design Firms Charge?
- Why Hire A NYC Graphic Design Agency?
- How To Hire Graphic Design Firms In NYC
- 10 Questions To Ask When Hiring Graphic Designers In NYC
- Takeaways On New York Graphic Design Companies
What Makes Graphic Designers In NYC Unique?
Graphic designers in NYC are the most talented professionals in the world.
New York is the global capital of business, finance and communication.
The open and inclusive environment, the multifaceted opportunities and the plethora of world-renowned academic institutions make New York a major hub for commerce and culture.
It’s the chief destination for creative innovators, high-achievers and top-rated employers across many global industries.
As far as the creative sector, New York is recognized as an international thought leader in industries such as advertising, design, publishing, journalism, fashion, media and entertainment and more.
12% of all creative industry jobs in the US are concentrated in The Big Apple.
Moreover, the huge competition within the industry and equally high costs mean that only the top-tier graphic designers are based in New York.
How Big Is The NYC Graphic Design Talent pool?
From 215,930 graphic designers in 2019 at the national level, 21,090 are working in New York, making it the US state with the highest concentration of specialists in the graphic design industry.
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, the field of graphic design is projected to grow only 3% from 2018 to 2028, much slower than the average for all occupations.
And this is already reflecting on the industry. The COVID-19 crisis has taken a heavy toll on graphic designers.
The industry is on a downward trend, declining at a rate of 10,6% in 2020 alone.
Advertising spending from businesses has dropped and demand for corporate and advertising branding is expected to plummet.
However, though businesses don’t longer invest in advertising campaigns, eCommerce development services are blooming so the demand for online design services is projected to grow by 2025.
What Differentiates Graphic Design Firms In NYC From The Rest Of The World?
Let’s make a recap:
- Deep and diverse supply of talent: New York attracts high-end talent from around the world, resulting in global competitive proficiency and superior achievements.
- Creativity leaders: Being remarkably creative and innovative, the NYC market is overflowing with worldwide specialists and thought leaders alike.
- Passion and drive to succeed: The competitive and ambitious mindset makes NYC’s workforce extremely driven to consistently achieve high performance.
What Does A NYC Graphic Design Firm Specialize In?
Unlike the graphic design companies elsewhere in the world, graphic design firms in NYC tend to be qualified in providing brand identities for the locally dominant industries.
New York is the largest urban economy in the world with a GDP of $1,5 trillion in 2017, 8% of the US total.
According to Oxford Economics, the GDP of New York is expected to grow with 1.9% by 2035.
The five leading industries driving NYC’s economy are:
- Professional and technical services
- Retail trade
As any other graphic design firm in the world, NYC graphic design agencies specialize in providing essential branding support for businesses, extending their brand identity and increasing awareness.
These agencies will typically specialize in:
- Graphic design
- Print design
- Website design
- Product design
- Logo design
- Package design
- And more
What Are The Different Types Of NYC Graphic Design Companies?
There are various different ways to categorize NYC graphic design companies.
The first way is to evaluate the precise type of services that they provide:
Graphic design agencies focus exclusively or nearly exclusively on graphic design services, such as graphic and print design, product and logo design, website design.
- Mixed services agencies provide a complete set of graphic design services but also offer advertising services like branding development, consulting or digital marketing.
- Full-stack agencies are those who have expanded their graphic design spectrum to offer a whole range of web development or digital marketing services, like eCommerce development or mobile app development, social media marketing, PPC, content marketing, copywriting, or SEO.
Secondly, these agencies can be categorized by the platforms they specialize in:
- WordPress website design agencies: WordPress-focused web designers use the most popular platform, i.e. CMS, to help businesses develop custom designs while configuring intuitive backend or providing SEO optimization.
- Drupal website design agencies: Drupal web designers use the open-source software as a foundation to build custom designs on the platform, as well as scaling or maintaining the websites.
The third and final way of distinguishing the NYC graphic design companies is by the industry they serve, some of the most popular being:
- Media and entertainment
- And more
How Much Do NYC Graphic Design Firms Charge?
The majority of NYC graphic design companies have a typical hourly rate range between $125 and $200, with the more exclusive firms that drive up the price to $275 per hour.
When it comes to projects, most graphic design companies in New York charge up to $10,000 per project. But the more high-end firms don’t accept anything below $25,000.
Why Hire A NYC Graphic Design Agency?
New York is the central space for graphic designers, these agencies unarguably offer the highest quality services.
Here are a few specific reasons why you should hire an NYC graphic design agency:
- Access to top-talent: New York boasts a cluster of creative talent not only from across the nation but around the world. This results in ample expertise and an impressive skill set that can add massive value to your business.
- Creative innovation: Graphic designers in NYC are ingenious professionals who can provide you with a comprehensive and engaging identity, creating a visual campaign that makes a splash and leaves consumers wanting more.
- Specialists with rich insight into the local market: New York hosts leading experts who understand the local market, being able to provide valuable input in the graphic design domain.
How To Hire Graphic Design Firms In NYC
Choosing the best graphic design agency in New York can be challenging.
You’re putting a lot of faith into this company, so you want to make sure it’s the right decision.
When hiring an NYC graphic design company, there are a number of factors to consider:
- Their process: Communication is the core component of any process. Look into the agency’s management style to see how they ensure transparency and what their course of action is regarding your project. Do they take ownership of your project or will they rely on you to take the wheel?
- Their talent: The best graphic design firms in NYC typically have a well-rounded team of experts which means that no entry-level employees or trainees would be working on your project. This guarantees your project will be in safe hands and on a smooth road to success.
- Their portfolio: Going through an agency’s portfolio will provide you with valuable insight of how creative and productive a graphic design company is.
- Their reviews: What other clients have to say about their overall experience with an agency could be a real eye-opening for you when deciding to hire one.
10 Questions To Ask When Hiring Graphic Designers In NYC
Prior to actually starting a partnership with an agency, you should try to get as much information as you can about their quality of work, as well as their approach and corporate culture.
Make sure to ask them these following questions:
- Can you walk me through your portfolio and tell me what your responsibilities were on these projects?
- How do you approach a new project?
- What is the design process?
- What is your typical timeframe for this type of project?
- Who will be working on my project?
- What is your pricing structure?
- What kind of information do I, as a client, need to provide?
- Is your work completely original or do you use templates?
- Would I receive copyright to the graphics?
- Do you charge for revisions?
Takeaways On New York Graphic Design Companies
New York graphic design companies are among the most talented in graphic design.
Considering its status as a global capital for business, finance and communication, New York is the epicenter for top graphic design specialists.
What differentiates NYC-based graphic design companies from the rest of the world are these essential features:
- Deep supply of talent
- Prolific creativity
- Passion and ambition
They tend to be the most qualified in providing visual identities for the locally dominant industries: finance, healthcare, retail.
Most graphic design agencies charge between $125 and $200 per hour.