Video is quickly becoming the most popular type of digital content, for more than one good reason. When done right, video content can build trust and long-term relationships with consumers, boost their loyalty, catch the attention of cold audience and provide lasting brand recognition.
Videos help generate leads and increase organic traffic from SERPs while delivering better ROI than simple static images.
In this article, five top-class agencies provide their expert insight and a sneak peek into the future of video marketing, uncovering the current trends so you too can reap all the benefits. Plus, we’ll talk about five additional trends that businesses nowadays are building their strategies around!
Table of Contents
- Video-First Algorithms Are Taking Over
- Dynamic Videos & Real-Time Psychographics To Skyrocket
- Content Customization And Granular Audience Segmentation
- Livestream eCommerce And Rise Of Video Relevance In The 5G Era
- Proliferation Of Broadcast Studio Video Quality
- 5 Video Marketing Trends of 2023 Businesses Should Rely On
- Video Marketing Trends FAQ
- Video Is The Format Of The Future
1. Video-First Algorithms Are Taking Over
According to Click Here Digital’s Holly Hingle, video marketing in 2023 will be all about digital platforms prioritizing video over other forms of content thanks to their video-first algorithms.
The agency representative points out that “video has even expanded to include shopping formats, which businesses can easily capitalize on” and that advertisers, content creators and eCommerce businesses particularly need to stay on top of these five trends:
- Videos are being read, not heard
- Vertical videos are taking over
- Social media live videos are growing
- Video-first shift is happening
- CTV is not slowing down
A Sharethrough research backs this claim: reading has become an integral part of watching a video and people are more likely to watch a video if it has captions (72% users on mobile and 60% on desktop).
Videos watched vertically – fueled by the use of social media feeds on smartphones – have a 90% higher completion rate compared to horizontal. Watching videos vertically “feels natural to users scrolling through their feeds.” TikTok, which favors this format, has overtaken YouTube for average watch time per user.
Live videos, with their captivating nature and ability to engage audiences in real-time, are watched 3x more than pre-recorded videos, which has resulted in a major growth in live videos on social media platforms, making them an essential tool for marketers and further highlighting the value of partnering with a social media marketing agency.
Another social media video marketing trend that is expected to grow in 2023 is the so-called “video-first” approach — platform algorithms are optimized to support video content. Hingle states that TikTok changed the landscape of video consumption with this approach, and now competing platforms are following suit by testing immersive solutions such as Instagram’s IGTV, Twitter’s Fleets and YouTube’s Shorts.
Finally, advertisers should consider CTV in order to stay in front of their audience, as 40% of US households can only be reached by CTV and 86% of users are streaming their videos through this channel.
2. Dynamic Videos & Real-Time Psychographics To Skyrocket
Brian Fabiano, CEO of FabCom agency, maintains that the dynamic video contains the entry to better marketing ROI.
In his opinion, the following will define video marketing in 2023:
- Dynamic videos
- One-to-one connections with the audience
- Branded experiences that combine AR, VR and conventional video
- Motion sensing and LiDAR technologies
Also, combining conventional videos with the advances in augmented and virtual reality creates “amazing brand experiences” that drive differentiating connections with a brand, product or service.
Another thing Fabiano points out as a defining trend for 2023 is the introduction of motion sensing and LiDAR technologies. This will “enable interaction with video assets and the ability to repurpose them for AR and VR branded uses without the need for headgear,” he claims, adding that the proliferation of gamification in the video industry will change the face of various industries.
3. Content Customization And Granular Audience Segmentation
In the case of Jakob Beckley, Senior VP, Technology and Innovation at Fusion92 agency, the need for personalized video content in advertising will drive the majority of video marketing trends in 2023.
According to him, these will be the defining qualities of successful video marketing in 2023:
- Video audience segmentation
- Unprecedented content customization
Beckley declares that developing quality personalized content quickly and at scale is still a big challenge for marketers. He references to his agency’s use of the proprietary API technology for real-time content rendering that “affords brands the ability to dynamically serve relevant video messaging to each user […] — 100% unique at scale.”
This dynamic video technology, says Beckley, gives brands the ability to deliver personalized video content for every unique consumer.
4. Livestream eCommerce And Rise Of Video Relevance In The 5G Era
Latam Digital Marketing’s Robert Javier shares that the data of internet usage and the rise of 5G connection point to only one path: video on all platforms.
The key to success in his opinion? Being relevant. And the rising video format that will bring relevancy to brands and creators is Livestream eCommerce.
He defines the following trends and best practices as crucial for this new genre of video in 2023:
- AR/VR-infused live experience
- Data tracking evolution
- New kind of influencers for better audience connection
The origins of Livestream eCommerce occurred during 2020, in a socially distanced world where people had a particularly strong need to connect digitally. This is when platforms like YouTube Live, Facebook Live and Instagram rose in popularity for their live streaming capabilities.
He also points out that 63% of live videos’ audience are Millennials and Gen Zers who grew up during the development of online communication. They interact with other live video creators and are responsible for 42% of content created in this segment.
To tap into the potential of Livestream eCommerce as a format with the highest user engagement and immersion, social networks are building new widgets and best practices applicable in the creation of these lives.
Pinterest has launched Pinterest TV, a series of daily live and on-demand and shoppable episodes featuring its users. TikTok — the leader in this segment — will soon roll out its new feature, TikTok Shopping, focused on live shopping and dynamic showcase ads.
Javier lists out 4 tips for a better visual experience in live shopping videos:
- Clean and authentic background: No distractions and full brand authenticity.
- Product presentation: Centered image and lots of breathing space on all sides.
- Product interaction: Wearing the product, for example, enforces the buying intention.
- Storytelling and content diversity: Tutorials, interviews, behind the scenes, mid-tier influencer guides.
He also adds that:
He heralds the rise of a new kind of influencers. The brands are going to turn to opinion leaders and influencers with medium or low reach for a more real and authentic connection with their audience.
5. Proliferation Of Broadcast Studio Video Quality
MediaFuel’s CEO Jeff Kivett points to great movie studios as the biggest trendsetters for the standards they set in video consumption. For instance, Disney’s Unreal Engine and Brainstorm 3D showcase “the possibilities available for great storytelling using virtual sets.”
In 2023, both B2B and B2C brands will look for ways to create immersive, engaging, interactive and educational experiences while reducing conference costs.
Using the abovementioned technologies, in 2023 brands will be able to:
- Produce high-quality, broadcast studio-level content
- Teleport guest speakers virtually to the conference
This video production company's experts experienced these capabilities firsthand when Kivett was “teleported” to Brainstorm’s Spanish studio for their Virtual Week. Both he and the host were actually in two different parts of the world.
MediaFuel has since produced four virtual conferences in various industries, merging customizable virtual sets, dynamic graphics and entertaining storytelling. The resulting conferences were “nearly as dynamic as in-person human interaction.”
Not only are SaaS companies now able to make user experiences that make their customers the heroes of the conferences, but the “added bonus is that conference segments can be turned into reusable content for absent attendees.” These segments can live on channels such as YouTube to create a brand impression and generate brand exposure.
5 Video Marketing Trends of 2023 Businesses Should Rely On
Now that we heard what the experts have to say, let’s see the other video marketing trends businesses nowadays are embracing to boost their campaigns:
1. Real-Time Video
Real-time videos are played while being recorded. This allows the viewer to experience the content as if they were there with the creator, creating a sense of deeper connection which in turn influences the conversion rates. These videos are used for a variety of purposes, such as live-streaming events, product launches and promotional campaigns.
Since they are interactive by nature, real-time videos help businesses engage with customers, allowing them to participate in content creation or leave comments and feedback on what’s happening during a broadcast session.
With these videos, you can create unique experiences for your audience by offering exclusive deals and giveaways only available through real-time video platforms like Facebook Live or Twitch. You can also use this video format to host virtual Q&As or interviews with influencers and industry leaders that would otherwise be impossible due to geographical distance.
When it comes to the benefits of real-time videos, there’s more than meets the eye. They:
- Allow companies to build relationships with their viewers through authentic interactions since they offer an unfiltered view of the brand
- Give access to valuable customer insights which drive the decision-making process and help inform future marketing strategies
- Increase engagement levels as they deliver the element of surprise which pre-recorded videos lack
- Simplify the recording process since most social media platforms now support live broadcasting capabilities
- Cut down costs since they don’t require expensive editing or post-production
Interactivity is a type of video marketing strategy that involves engaging viewers in content creation. As such, it has become the latest hype in the world of video marketing.
As a strategy, interactivity can involve anything from allowing viewers to vote on topics or outcomes, providing them with the ability to add in their own creative elements into videos or simply giving them the opportunity to comment and provide feedback. It’s an effective way for businesses to create meaningful relationships with their customers while also gathering valuable data about what they want and how they respond to different types of content.
Among their other benefits, interactive videos:
- Increase engagement levels as businesses can connect with their target audiences in a unique way
- Support decision-making by allowing businesses to collect data on their audience’s preferences
- Help tailor future strategies toward particular demographics which ultimately leads to higher conversion rates
- Build brand loyalty as people naturally prefer interactions that seem more humanized compared to generic targeting
3. Short-Form Content
Short-form content as a strategy focuses on creating short, succinct videos that can be quickly consumed by viewers. This could include anything from tutorials, explainer videos or even viral clips lasting no more than one minute.
Short-form videos have already gained significant popularity on social media platforms like TikTok, Instagram Reels and YouTube Shorts. As more and more people consume video content, short-form videos are becoming an increasingly important part of video marketing strategies.
Short-form videos are:
- Known to deliver higher engagement. They are designed to capture the viewer’s attention quickly and hold it for a short period
- Easy to create, often using just a smartphone and simple editing tools. This also makes them a cost-effective option for brands looking to produce video content on a budget
- Better suited for social media. They are not only consumed quickly but are also highly shareable, leading to increased visibility and reach
- The holy grail of creativity. They offer an opportunity for brands to be creative and experiment with different types of content, from humor and entertainment to educational and informative content
- Mobile-friendly and with most people accessing the internet from their smartphones, this makes short-form videos a great option for brands looking to reach audiences on the go
Through storytelling in video marketing, you can present narratives that are both meaningful and engaging as it helps convey complex information in an engaging and accessible way. Storytelling has been used for centuries to captivate audiences—first in oral tradition, later in literature and now with the rise of digital video platforms.
In today’s digital world, this can be done through any form of media, such as films, documentaries, commercials, animation or even as simple as YouTube videos or reels. By telling a story, brands can build trust with their audience, communicate their values and mission and differentiate themselves from competitors.
By embracing storytelling as a video marketing strategy, brands can:
- Engage viewers emotionally rather than simply delivering facts or statistics via traditional methods
- Stay top-of-mind for existing and potential customers by creating memorable content shared will stick with the audience long after they see the ad
- Differentiate themselves from their competition by communicating their unique values, mission and brand personality
- Improve brand image by connecting on a more meaningful level with their target audiences
- Support social media marketing efforts as these videos are inherently shareable, thereby boosting reach significantly
5. Vertical Video
Vertical video is shot and designed to be viewed in a vertical or portrait orientation, rather than the traditional horizontal or landscape orientation. This format is particularly well-suited for viewing on mobile devices, such as phones and tables, which are becoming the primary device for consuming digital content. With more people accessing the internet on their mobile devices, vertical videos provide a surefire way to reach this audience in a natural and user-friendly way.
That said, vertical video:
- Leads to higher engagement rates on mobile as the format is more immersive and the viewer can see more detail in the frame
- Opens new creative possibilities, allowing brands to experiment with different perspectives and visual techniques
- Boosts overall user experience by providing content that fits the user’s device
Video Marketing Trends FAQ
Why is video content important in 2023?
Video content was and will continue to be important in 2023 as it is one of the most popular forms of digital content—and its consumption is only increasing. More people than ever are watching videos online, mostly on mobile devices.
It brings better ROI than other content formats due to its shareable nature, which can lead to increased brand awareness and more conversions. Plus, given its versatility, it can be used for a variety of purposes, including brand storytelling, product demos or educational content. Nowadays, brands of all sizes can use video content to reach their audience and compete with larger competitors even if they are on a budget.
Is video the future of marketing?
With high-speed internet and the proliferation of mobile devices, coupled with people’s short attention spans that are getting shorter by the day, video is certainly a significant part of the future of marketing.
Aside from assumptions, video content has proven to be highly effective in engaging audiences and driving conversions. It is a versatile medium used for different marketing purposes, from brand storytelling and product demos to tutorials and explainer videos. Video content can also be easily shared on social media platforms, increasing its reach and effectiveness.
Technological advancements are making it easier and more affordable to create high-quality video content. This has made video marketing more accessible to smaller businesses and organizations that may not have had the resources to produce video content in the past.
While video marketing may not completely replace other forms of marketing, it is likely to become an increasingly important part of any marketing strategy in the future.
Why is video so effective in marketing?
Video is a highly engaging medium that can capture a viewer's attention and keep them engaged for longer periods than other types of content. With the use of sound, visuals and motion, videos communicate more information in a shorter amount of time than text or images.
Video Is The Format Of The Future
The five video marketing experts featured in this article all agree that the stage is set for the video to become the number one content format in terms of consumption and popularity.
With the advances in internet speed and mobile usage, video marketers can benefit greatly from creating a variety of HD videos, from bite-size featurettes and explainer videos to edutainment episodes and live streams. The future of video marketing is the medium itself.