Video content is not just a trend; it's here to stay.
Research says 88% of people would like to see more video content from brands in 2022. Furthermore, 88% say that watching a video from a brand have convinced them to buy its product or service.
Content marketing continues to grow in importance as a way to reach potential customers online and create content they want to consume. Video is one of the most engaging types of content that you can produce for your business.
As you plan your video marketing campaign, be sure to take the time to understand the cost of video production.
Table of Contents
Cost of Video Production: Crew Members Day Rates
Video production costs can vary widely depending on the needs and resources required but generally fall within these ranges:
- Producer ($800-$1,500): Producers manage day-to-day operations, from budgeting to hiring cast and crew.
- Director ($800-$1,500): Directors create storyboards, shoot footage, oversee lighting and sound, and edit videos.
- Director of Photography ($700-$1,500): The director of photography is one of the most expensive positions in video production. They are responsible for all camera work, including directing and capturing the action on film.
- Senior Videographer ($500-$1,250): A senior videographer has a great deal of experience in video production and filming. They are adept at capturing the perfect shot, recording sound, and working well with clients. The senior filmmaker is often sought after to work on large productions or shoots where more than one person is needed.
- Junior Videographer ($400-$600): A junior videographer typically doesn't have much experience but wants to make video production their profession. They may have been in the industry for less than two years or have some experience but not enough to be considered an expert.
- Production Assistant ($250-$600): Production assistants help a video production company with the logistical needs essential to shooting videos. They are responsible for arranging and setting up equipment before and during the shoot, ordering refreshments, and assisting with other conditions.
- Sound Technician ($300-$700): This person records, mixes, and masters sound. They are essential to video production because they can clean up audio, mix in background music, and do other necessary sound work.
- Lighting Specialist ($300-$700): Lighting is one of the most critical aspects of video production. Lighting specialists are responsible for setting up lights on set, and they should have a solid understanding of the different types of lighting to make your video look the best it can be. They will help you in pre-production and during filming and post-production.
- Drone Operator ($500-$1,200): Aerial video footage is an excellent way to capture expansive views and boost your marketing campaigns. If you don't have access to this resource, you may consider using stock footage instead.
- Grip ($200-$500): Grip is the person who handles all the equipment on set, and they're typically seen handling things like cameras, tripods, and other pieces of equipment. Grips are also responsible for setting up the lights and ensuring everything is in order before shooting begins.
Cost of Video Production: Post-Production Day Rates
The work doesn't stop at shooting your footage. Here are video production costs associated with editing.
- Video Editor ($200-$800): All video editing needs to be done by a professional who understands its intricacies. A video editor edits your footage and ensures it looks professional. Hire a good editor because you want your videos to be crisp and clear. They can also remove any mistakes or unnecessary parts of the video.
- Motion Graphics/Animation Editor ($500-$1,400): Motion graphics editors are essential in every video production. They take raw footage and create short clips, animated graphics, and text overlays to give the video a polished look.
Cost of Video Production: Other Things to Consider
Decide on a Video Type
Video is a great way to get your message across. However, not every type of video is suitable for every business.
- Do you want a short testimonial or product overview?
- Do you want to produce an in-depth tutorial?
- Will your video be filmed or produced in animation?
- Will your video be used as an educational piece or an advertisement?
You'll need to think about what type of video will work best with the message you're trying to convey. This will influence how you plan your video, from production to editing.
For example, if you're creating an advertisement, your video may be shorter with a higher production value and feature a voice-over that delivers a script.
For an educational video on a product or service, however, you can have more freedom with length and focus less on aesthetics.
Location Scouting and Partnerships
One of the highest costs you'll face is the location of your shoot. Depending on which city you're shooting in, you can spend a ton of money on a site.
Fortunately, there are ways to save on this video production cost.
First, try to locate a free or cheap location. Some of the best sites for shooting are public places, such as parks and libraries.
You can also use your own office or building for your shoot. Or consider partnering with other businesses with the right look and feel to save on your location costs.
Script Writing and Voice-over Talent
Scriptwriting and voice-over talent are two other costs that you shouldn't overlook. If you're writing your script, you'll want to factor that into your budget.
But if you want it done right, you'll need to hire a professional writer.
Similarly, if you use one of your employees for the voice-over, you'll have one less cost. However, if you want a professional to do it, you'll need to factor that into your budget.
Budgeting is a critical part of planning for the future. It's a process that involves estimating costs, setting goals, and developing plans to achieve those goals.
While this may sound straightforward, budgeting isn't always easy. It would be best to consider many things when creating your budget—the first is understanding how much money you have available.
The first step in creating or revising your video production company's business plan is determining its current cash position, including assets.
The best way to do this is by completing a balance sheet that lists all assets, their values, and some liabilities.
A balance sheet will help you understand where all your money currently resides and whether or not there are any areas where funds could be allocated differently without negatively affecting your overall financial situation.
Pre-production refers to the planning phase in which you determine how your story will be told and what needs to happen for that story to make sense for your audience.
These tasks include scheduling shoots or interviews with your talent, figuring out what locations you'll need for filming, and ensuring you have all the necessary equipment.
5 Common Types of Video Content
There are many different types of video content that businesses can create. Here are five examples of the most common types of video content for businesses:
- Explainer videos are short videos that explain what your business does, how products or services work, or who you are as a company.
- Brand videos are like short documentaries about your company and what you do. These videos can feature interviews with employees, behind-the-scenes footage, and more.
- UGC (user-generated content) is any content your customers create and share online. This might include customer testimonials, reviews, or other content your customers create and share online.
- Educational videos are videos that focus on educating your customers or prospects. You might create educational videos to teach people about your products or services or give them tips and advice on using them.
- Demonstration videos show people how to use your products or services. They can also be used to show people how to use certain features or aspects of your products or services.
Why Does Video Content Matter?
Videos can help you drive conversions, increase traffic, and improve customer engagement. In fact, a study found that adding video to your landing page can increase conversion rates by up to 86%.
Here are a few reasons why video content matters for businesses:
- Businesses use video content to explain their products and services, which can help customers make better purchasing decisions. This can help you improve your sales and earn more from each customer.
- Video can help you rank higher in search engine results and drive more traffic to your website. When people conduct product research online, they often turn to videos.
- You can also use video content to connect with your customers on an emotional level and drive sales up. According to HubSpot, 83% of marketers gained leads with video content.
- Video content can also help you with customer retention and brand recognition. When customers watch your videos, they’re more likely to remember your brand and connect with your products and services on an emotional level.
Top Video Production Agencies
- Location: 1037 Monroe Drive NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30306, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $500/hr
- Expertise: Video Production, Video Marketing, Creative, Graphic Design...
The Sketch Effect is a talented team of creative and operational rockstars dedicated to elevating ideas through remarkable visual communication.
They help you engage your audience and communicate with clarity through video animation and on-site & virtual graphic recording services.
Clients include American Cancer Society, Marriot, Coca-Cola, Microsoft...
- Location: 2302 West Badger Road, Madison, Wisconsin 53713, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire
- Expertise: Video Production
Mirror 43 Production performs upfront research and strategy to drive better storytelling and more importantly, story listening. This approach stretches clients' production budget further by extending their core marketing message into snackable, stackable content that extends their impact.
They produce and edit projects ranging from language-agnostic training videos and scaleable consumer ads to Hollywood promotional trailers and everything in-between. They’ve built an International network of freelance video professionals to deliver a premium product and experience no matter where the concept takes us.
Clients include Kwik Trip, Affirm and Hoffman York.
- Location: 333 Terminal Ave, Vancouver
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire.
- Expertise: Video Production, Promotional Video, Animation, Corporate Video, Testimonial Video, Script Writing, Education & Training.
With over two decades of experience in video production, UpMedia Video has gained immense expertise in all things film.
Having already worked with the likes of Toyota, Netflix and HBO, UpMedia Video takes on projects big and small and specializes in helping businesses drive their social media campaigns and websites. Allow them to help your brand tell its story by taking advantage of their services, including script writing, animation, corporate videos, educational and training videos, and promo videos.
Reach out for a personalized quote, or peruse their set packages for your convenience.
- Location: 2633 Lincoln Blvd #406, Santa Monica, California 90405, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $100/hr
- Expertise: Video Production and Video Marketing.
Meet Brandefy, an award-winning, full-service video production agency based in Los Angeles, CA.
First founded in 2011, Brandefy has an undeniable well of knowledge when it comes to all things video production and marketing. By creating attention-grabbing videos for both TV and website marketing, Bradefy takes a customer-focused approach to ensure that your needs are wholly met in terms of budget, requirements and deadlines.
Brandefy prides itself on its ability to stay one step ahead of its competition by expertly integrating proven strategies and responsible practices into its video production process. Showcasing itself as a one-stop-shop for all your video production needs, Bradefy offers services such as:
TV Production: Commercials, DRTV, documercials, and infomercials;
Web Videos: Corporate videos, explainer videos, animated logos, and sizzle reels;
Distribution: Media buying, internet distribution, video search engine, and optimization (VSEO).
- Location: Niittyluhdantie 18 B, Helsinki, 00660, Finland
- Average Hourly Rate: $75/hr
- Expertise: Video Production.
Based out of Finland, Pegasus Media high-quality web videos on a turnkey basis.
Whether you’re looking for expert script writers, animators, sound recordings or just an attention-grabbing video for your website, social media or marketing campaigns, Pegasus Media has you covered. Allow this agency to take care of all the nitty-gritty processes that go into shooting a film while you focus on the other essential aspects of your business.
Some of Pegasus Media’s most notable clients include AAC Global, Energy Authority in Finland and The Finish Network for Rare Diseases.
- Location: 352 S, Curson Ave, Los Angeles, California 90036, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire.
- Expertise: Video Production, Commercial Video Production.
Offering a complete set of video production services, Zaya Production specializes in everything from film & TV creation to commercial content, product videos and corporate movies for companies.
Focussed on actualizing your ideas and concepts into tangible, unique visuals, Zaya Production takes care of everything from pre-production to project delivery. Constantly keeping up with the latest trends and technology in the industry, clients can rest assured that not only will their content stand out from the crowd, but it will amplify their brand voice.
Some of Zaya Production's most notable clients include MEO, La Roche-Posay Skincare, Fitness App, Westfield Century City, Urban Fitness and Mercedes-Benz.
- Location: 1035 S Semoran Blvd #1012, Orlando, Florida 32792, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $250 /hr
- Expertise: Video Production, Video Marketing.
Vibrant Media Productions is a content creation agency based in Orlando, Florida, specializing in video production and marketing. Vibrant Media has been providing quality content services since 2010 to meet the needs of its clients.
Vibrant Media offers various services from conception, pre-production, shooting, editing and motion graphics to post-production, VFX and animation. Their team of creative professionals is capable of creating high-quality content for online streaming services, television commercials, corporate videos, live events and more. Vibrant Media provides video marketing services such as SEO video optimization, YouTube channel creation and management, and social media campaigns.
The agency has been growing steadily, primarily due to its impressive roster of clients. Vibrant Media has worked with some of the biggest names in the industry, such as Microsoft, Marriott Hotels, LYFT, AT&T and Mitsubishi. These projects have allowed Vibrant Media to hone its skillset and develop innovative methods for creating high-quality video content.
- Location: Aleea Godeanu 7, bl.19, ap.28, Cluj-Napoca, 400414, Romania
- Average Hourly Rate: $80/hr
- Expertise: Graphic Design, Email Marketing, Shopify, WordPress Website Design, Small Business Web Design, Dental Web Design, Web Design, Package Design, Print Design, Branding, Logo Design, Food & Beverage Design, Small Business Branding, Naming, Boutique Branding, Start-ups Branding, Brand Design
Friendly Label is a leading branding, design and marketing agency based in Romania. This innovative firm has been operating since 2010, serving a wide range of clients worldwide. Friendly Label’s services include everything from web design and graphic design to eCommerce development, package design, email marketing, and print design.
Their impressive portfolio includes Content Frist, H&H Rooftop Bar and The Paint Hub, and numerous other clients who have come to Friendly Label for creative solutions. Friendly Label is a one-stop shop with team members who are experts in their field, offering branding solutions that are highly individualized and extremely effective.
Friendly Label’s goal is to create a unique brand for its clients that stands out in today’s competitive market. Friendly Label offers tailored, performance-driven services and approaches each project flexibly and enthusiastically, bringing fresh ideas and innovative solutions.
- Location: Broadley House, 48 Broadley Terrace, London, NW1 6LG, United Kingdom
- Average Hourly Rate: Inquire.
- Expertise: Video Production, Commercial Video Production, Training Video Production, Documentary Video Production, Corporate Video Production, Explainer Video Production, TV Advertising, Creative.
Broadly Studio is a London-based video production agency with more than 25 years of experience in the industry. Founded in 1994, Broadly Studio has developed a reputation for creating professional and engaging videos to help clients reach their target audiences and exceed their business goals.
Their services include everything from commercial, training, corporate and documentary videos to explainers and TV ads. Broadly Studio has worked with some of the biggest names in their respective industries, such as Netflix, the BBC, BP, Facebook, Coca-Cola and FIFA.
Utilizing their extensive technical capabilities and creative vision gained through years of experience, Broadly Studio strives to bring clients' stories to life in compelling ways. They understand the importance of creating videos that capture attention and make a lasting impression, whether for an internal or external audience.
- Location: 2685 S Dayton Way #63, Denver, Colorado 80231, United States
- Average Hourly Rate: $100/hr
- Expertise: Video Production, Corporate Video Production, Explainer Video Production, Video Marketing.
Video Service Hub is an innovative video production agency based in Denver, Colorado. Established in 2018, Video Service Hub has established itself as one of the leading video production agencies in the region, handling everything from TV commercials to corporate videos and explainer videos for some of the biggest names out there.
Their staff consists of highly experienced professionals with a proven track record of creating outstanding videos for clients like Chipotle Mexican Grill, IBM, ReMax, and SHE Leads Group.
Video Service Hub offers various services to cater to all video production needs. Whether you’re looking to create a TV commercial or an explainer video, Video Service Hub has the necessary experience and expertise to make it happen. Video Service Hub can also help you with video marketing, including creating a strategy for the most effective distribution of your videos to reach the maximum number of viewers.
Cost of Video Production: Final Thoughts
If you're a marketer and you want to create a video for your brand, make budgeting part of the process.
On the flip side, if you overbudget—or save too much—your project may not turn out as professionally as possible or even fall short of its goals.
Video production is an investment, so if you don't set aside the right amount of money before filming begins, there's a chance that you'll end up spending more than expected on post-production or other aspects of filming.
While video marketing can be expensive and time-consuming, there are so many opportunities that video content can open up for you as a business owner.